Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lily Livered

Lily Livered

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:53 AM

Do the letters of ALL keyboards pop off? My "h" is stuck. Feels like something is underneath it. I have to push real hard on the left side of it to get it to work. I've pulled up on it a tiny bit but it doesn't come off and I'm afraid to force it. Should I?
Thanks!
Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:36 AM

Hey Lily Livered

Hmm....not sure about pulling it off - you might not be able to get it back on. I had a similar problem and this is what i did. I turned the keyboard upside down and banged the back with my first all over the back. Do it over a bin or somewhere where you can catch the stuff that comes out. When i did it i had loads of crumbs from all the cakes i'd eaten and other rubbish. Try that and it might free up the key. Don't bang too hard though :thumbsup:
If that doesn't work we can think of something else a little less drastic :flowers:

David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 19 February 2006 - 10:49 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:49 AM

Try using an opened paperclip (ah, the best tool in the office) and gently slide it underneath the key; it may dislodge whatever fell underneath. An electric shaver brush can be used also. Most keytops can be pried off, but you risk bending the seat and permanently loosening the connexion when you put the plastic back on.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:57 AM

If you have any Canned Air left over from cleaning your computer use it to blow it out.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:15 PM

Thanks, you guys! I got it, although I never did see what the object was.

It's the laptop keyboard and therefore not much space at all around the keys. I ran a plastic toothpick with an angle at the end around the under edges of the H key. First it moved down to the N key, used the toothpick again and it moved down to the Space bar. Don't know where it's at now. I can't get whatever it is to show it's little face! I reckon it's one of those little keyboard grimlins and I imagine it to look like the little toe nail fungus monster on the TV commercial!!

Anyway, thanks for the tips. Glad I didn't force the key to come off and will know in the future not to either.

Thank you all again! BC rocks!!
Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users