Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building New pc in a few months.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nekrage

Nekrage

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

Ok well Im planning on building a new pc in the next couple of months. I am making this topic about this builds compatibility...not making this to hear something like "you dont need all that".

The 64g memory kit and the CPU are my biggest concerns. The ram runs at 2400Mhz and I would need a CPU that can support that speed or the ram gets down clocked(correct??). I am attempting to find a LGA 2011 socket CPU that can support 2400Mhz. To my surprise the 3930k is listed as NOT supporting 2400Mhz(source).

My problem is that the motherboard is a MUST it cannot be changed as it is the only "compatible" motherboard with the 64g of ram kit, and the mobo only supports LGA 2011 sockets.

This is my future build, please give any opinion you want and let me know if this is actually compatible.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/Nekrage/Six-CoreBuild.png

Thank you VERY much for any support that you guys are willing to throw my way.

P.S. Im a little new to overclocking as far CPU's go...if I OC the CPU to 2400Mhz then it would support the memory at 2400Mhz? If that is indeed the case, is that the general rule of overclocking...keep the clock of the CPU and Memory EXACTLY the same?

Attached Files

Edited by Nekrage, 09 March 2012 - 04:03 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

A few things...

What is this PC going to be used for?
Your six-core build.png file cannot be viewed.
What motherboard are you going to be using?

3939.png

#3 Nekrage

Nekrage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hmm I dont see why It cant be viewed. I was working last night, I will post a photobucket link or something.

Gaming and Streaming in 1080(hopefully)

Cant remove or edit the attached file for some reason. So just use the photobucket link.

Edited by Nekrage, 09 March 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Compatibility seems good, as to whether or not it is drastically overpowered or you're getting your moneys worth, that is a different answer. That motherboard allows for DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066, DDR3-2400 should work but you may need to enable overclocking features to make it work at that rated speed.

3939.png

#5 Nekrage

Nekrage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Compatibility seems good, as to whether or not it is drastically overpowered or you're getting your moneys worth, that is a different answer. That motherboard allows for DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066, DDR3-2400 should work but you may need to enable overclocking features to make it work at that rated speed.

Ok awesome, I plan to OC as much as I possibly can, we shall see what I can reach.

Depending on Diablo 3's release date I may build this system sooner or later.

Thanks for all your help...was kinda worried about the CPU because I was told it needed to support 2400Mhz itself or it would down clock the memory. As long as I can OC it to what I need, thats fine!

P.S For those interested in D3 a release date MAYYYYYYYYYY be announced on Monday the 12th. (Pretty good chance)

Edited by Nekrage, 09 March 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

I never did like the Diablo series. For dungeon crawlers, I was always an Icewind Dale kind of person, which, by the way, you can still get for a great price at GOG.com.

I would like to see a finalized build for what you are planning, the GTX 580 is already no longer the king of performance. I assume, given the specs, that you're designing this PC to last a while.

3939.png

#7 Nekrage

Nekrage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

I was going according to that. It seems to say 580 is still the king, do you have a different opinion?

#8 Nekrage

Nekrage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

How and why is the 580 better than the 590...wtf?

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

When looking at video card specs, synthetic benchmarks are largely useless. What you really should be looking at is real world performance at resolutions you game at. The Radeon 7970 is an improvement over the GTX 580, almost all reviewers and performance summaries agree on this.

From a performance standpoint, the GTX 590 and the Radeon 6990 are better performers than a 7970 or 580 but there are drawbacks to using those two cards. Mainly those cards are SLI or Crossfire solutions on one card, with all the hassles and limitations thereof, such as relying more on drivers, application profiles, and the possibility that the game will not scale well with two GPU's. These dual GPU cards also consume large amounts of power and generate more heat than a single GPU card like the GTX 580 or 7970.

This same metric is true with CPU's and gaming. Most games are GPU dependent so the choice of CPU past a certain point is mostly meaningless. If you render or crunch scientific data all day, that would be a different story.

3939.png

#10 Nekrage

Nekrage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have an hd 4870x2 right now and it has 2 gpus..it was $500 when I purchased it. THIS CARD SUCKS!

Catalyst AI is something that you MUST have enabled to utilize both gpu's in the card...the problem is Catalyst AI causes artifacts in 60% of the games out there. I am forced to play with 1 gpu most of the time because of this crap.

I am trying to stick clear of dual gpu cards.

Edited by Nekrage, 11 March 2012 - 07:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users