Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rogue CUPTIN Temp??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

Hi all.

So here is my story.

I play Flight Sim X. It is a very CPU intensive game. It has never bothered my computer to play it. Recently I upgraded to windows 7. Ever since then, when flying custom aircraft on FSX my computer would shut down. Now my BIOS is set to sound an alarm at 85C, and auto shut down at 90C. On hot days when playing games the alarm has sounded many times, so I know it works. However these crashes were occurring with no warning.

After downloading programs to keep an eye on my temps, and updating drivers, I ended up changing the alarm to 90C and disabling the shut down. For the first time, I can now see the culprit. Using PC Wizard 2012 I can see all my core temperatures are sitting nicely at around 80C, however there is one named CPUTIN which jumps up to 92C when I'm playing FSX (Even though the core temperatures remain around 80C). This explains why the alarm wasn't sounding; the CPUTIN temp sits around 60C, but once I begin playing, it spikes straight up to above the shut-down temp. Now that I've disabled the shut down, the alarm keeps sounding intermittently when ever this CPUTIN goes over 90C, even though the CPU is still over 10C lower.

What is CPUTIN?
Why is my BIOS paying any attention to it when the rest of the temperatures read far lower?
Are there any known fixes for this?

This is driving me insane. Help is much appreciated.

AMD 9950 BE Quad 2.6 (BE heatsink, regularly cleaned of dust)
Win 7 Ultimate SP1
4GB DDR2-800
HD5870

Edited by hamluis, 09 March 2012 - 11:12 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

It has always been my understanding that CPUTIN is the temperature of the CPU chip itself. Like what you would feel if you touched it. CPUTIN weirdness that I have seen in the past included a problem where it was okay but then shot up so fast that alarms did not sound or throttling did not occur and the system simply shuts down (sound familiar :) )

I don't remember ever seeing a solution. Some have said 'bad sensor' but I just did a quick search and it looks like it happens more often than I would expect a bad sensor to occur.

If it were brought to my shop, first I'd make sure there was no dust that might be literally touching the sensor itself (I don't know where that would be off the top of my head) and see if that helps.
Then I would probably try removing, cleaning and putting back the heatsink with new thermal paste and if that did not have any effect, I'd try replacing it with something a little more powerful.

Do you know what the motherboard is, I'm pretty sure that the sensor for CPUTIN is on the motherboard and not the CPU.

James

#3 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Ah I knew I forgot to add something. It's an Abit AX78. The dust gets cleaned out of the cpu heat sink regularly but not so much the rest of the computer. I was giving good thought to the thermal paste. It's been there since I built the computer 4 years ago. I've never replaced it, and I've removed the heat sink so many times that half the past is stuck on the cpu and the other half on the heat sink.. It's missing a few patches, and is dry and old. I'm going to get around to replacing it when I get paid next week, but I mean at most it should only make 4-5C difference, right?

Thanks for your reply.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

I could definitely see an uneven thermal paste problem making the cores stay cool while the outer casing of the CPU gets too hot.
Just take it slow when you clean off the old paste. It is so easy to get that gunk all over the place (voice of experience here :) ).
I use Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol.
Then look online to see what the recommendations are for the amount of paste to apply for your CPU (most situations call for a blob the size of a grain of rice).

Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

James

#5 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thanks James, I wasn't sure how I was going to get the old stuff off :)

I'm gonna get a tube of Arctic Silver 5, I hear it's pretty good stuff.

Will let you know.

#6 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Well bleep.

I managed to find the only shop in town that sells arctic silver 5, cleaned the old paste off (to be honest, the paste was so old, dry and hard I didn't even need the isopropyl alcohol to clean it off, but i did it anyway just to be sure), applied the arctic silver 5, and holy crap. I ran flight sim x, before and after. Before, CPU cores were sitting at 77C, CUPTIN was in the 80s. Now, cores never passed above 49C, CPUTIN sat round 55C. That's almost 30C cooler! Just from paste! I never would have thought the difference would be this much.

Anyways, seems cooling is now well under control.

Thanks for the cleaning tip James. B)

Edited by sniperNZSAS, 13 March 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for letting us know.

It will help others with a similar problem when they find this thread :)

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users