Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pavilion Won't Restart, But Shuts Down and Starts Up Fine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Wittliff

Jim Wittliff

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

My computer died and a friend gave me a Pavilion DV8300 CTO notebook, XP Pro, which I restored to factory settings using the recovery partition. Most everything works fine, the computer will shut down and start up, but if you tell it to restart it hangs on the black HP screen with "press <esc> to change boot order" and "press <F10> to enter setup," neither of which do anything. Actually, that's not entirely true. If you click F10, it just tells you to keep waiting and never does anything. I've flashed the BIOS and updated all the drivers, I have no idea why it won't reboot, but it is curious. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Have you tried running the chkdsk /r command...followed by running sfc /scannow?

Louis

#3 Jim Wittliff

Jim Wittliff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

I have not, but will shortly. Thanks for the tip. I'll post again once I've done that.

#4 TriggerJinxed

TriggerJinxed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

I have an HP DC 7900 here in the office that does the same thing. I tried a reimage, and a new hard drive, it does the same thing. I think it might be the motherboard or the CMOS battery maybe. It's under warranty so I'm planning on going that route...
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. ~Stephen Hawking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users