Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is pc mag legit?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 printerandink

printerandink

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2373529,00.asp

In the article above they list eset and avira as okay and somehow Norton is above them? Is this accurate nowadays?

What do y'all think of this new Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete?

And what do y'all use?

Edited by printerandink, 09 March 2012 - 12:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,920 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

PC Mag is legit and they do performance testing as well as many others.

Independent Anti-virus software Comparisons & TestsThese kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites

Anti-virus Software Reviews
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

When do you think the 2012 summaries will be up?

#4 Guest_desertjon_*

Guest_desertjon_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

In my opinion..these review sites give good reviews when the author pays them to do so..I have always dodged Norton products because of so much talk they are memory hogs Symantic now also owns PC Tools..which uses 1GB of space..Excessive

#5 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

What's your opinion on the new kaspersky?

#6 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

How would y'all feel about having kaspersky 2012 and the paid version of malwarebytes for protection? Comfortable?

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

FWIW: I was a long time(6+ years) Kaspersky user until early last year. I switched to ESET and have not been happier since the switch. Personal preference and the 'footprint' is noticably smaller.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

I got a deal on Kas though. I'm more worried about security than footprint.

It seems difficult to tell who's best. One year something is the hottest crap since slice bread, the next nothing more than a rather turd-y bit of kit.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

You didn't quantify your question. You asked a question leaving it in a way to have an open ended opinion. If you got a deal for your Kaspersky, and are concerned about security then open ended opinions are negated. You'll be fine with what you have.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

:/ That's what I meant. I should have typed, "Would you feel that your pc is safe with this combo?"

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,920 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

It seems difficult to tell who's best. One year something is the hottest crap since slice bread, the next nothing more than a rather turd-y bit of kit.

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. Please see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users