Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Media Center Edition Start Up Disks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 breakxeggs

breakxeggs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:58 PM

I would like to know if there are any XP Media Center Edition startup disks online for download.

Or if any other XP start updisks can be used to reset registry files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

There's a command (it's called "makedisk" or something similar) on the CD that came with the OS.

You also may be able to obtain them from http://www.bootdisk.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:53 PM

Click start, then Help, click the index tab, type in "emergency repair disk" without the quotation marks, and it will tell you how to create an EMD as well as boot disks for your own computer, which would be far better than generic boot disks.

From what you stated, I think you want the EMD - emergency repair disk.

From Windows Help:
To create an Emergency Repair Disk
It has a tab for "Open" and one for "Backup".
or
On the Tools menu, click Create an Emergency Repair Disk.
Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.

You will need a blank 1.44 MB floppy disk to create an Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).
The repair process relies on information that is saved in the systemroot\repair folder. You must not change or delete this folder.

If you type "boot" in the help section it will tell you how to make the six disk boot disk set.

or

You can download some from Microsoft.
Media Center is actually XP Home.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

If you are going to download the boot disks download the version for the installation of Windows that originally came on your computer, ie, if it came without SP1 and SP2 download the disks for the way it came originally, not for the status it is now even though you may have downloaded SP1 and 2.

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 February 2006 - 10:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users