Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got A New Computer But Not Sure If It Was The Right Choice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:56 PM

Hi everyone, after first looking for a laptop I decided to go with a desktop mostly because of price. After what might have been months of research and even longer to save the dough I came to a decision and bought a gateway from bestbuy model# GT5032. My entire goal was to get the lowest priced desktop that I could one day turn into a really good gamming machine. After buying it there has been a couple of things that I've learned that are starting to make me worry that I will never be able to do what I would like to do.
Let me give you guys my specs, and then I will tell you what I would like to do and learn how to do it right, and what can be done and what can't be done with my computer.
My Specs:
:Amd athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2ghz, 2 x 512kb cache, 1000mh fsb
:os- media center edition Windows XP
:Motherboard- Nvidia nforce 410 MCP chipset
:Memory- 1gb 400mhz dual channel PC3200 ddr sdram
:Gpu- Nvidia geforce 6100 128mb shared
:HD- 250gb
:Two optical drives one dvd-+rw and one dvd-rom
:56k modem
:10/100 ethernet
:Slots- 1 pci-e x16, 1 pci-e x1, and 2 pci
:Interfaces- 7 usb, 3 firewire, 1 vga, 1 parrallel, 2 ps/2, 5 audio ports
:Psu- 305w 9Amp-12V

Now, I did a very dumb thing and did not do a lot of research on motherboards or memory I geuss because everyone puts so much hype on processors. Take a look at my specs for a perfect example, great processor but every other componant is under a hundred bucks and the bottom of the barrel (just enough to run the good processor. Now I'm not complaining, since most things can be upgraded, after all thats what I was looking for but since I did'nt do good research on the mobo and memory I might not be able to do what I want.

Here is what I would like to do: I want to put the 7800gtx gpu in, which means I have to get a 450w or 500w psu and I don't know if this mobo can support both upgrades or not. Second I though that any mobo could use any kind of memory "I know better now" but I still don't know if ddr pc3200 is the only kind it can use and what the fastest memory it could use.

Second is the ethernet, I have 10/100 I have no idea what this means still! I've seen 10/100/1000 ethernet also but what I would like to know about that is if I were to get a dsl connection that streams at 1.5mb can I get that speed with the 10/100 ethernet I have or would I have to have the 1000 version ethernet to be able to get dsl 1mb or faster.

Sorry for making this so long and if you made it this far you have more patience than I do!!! :thumbsup: :flowers:

Thanks to everyone who replies

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:35 AM

First of all 1GB of dual channel PC3200 RAM is fine and about as fast as you usually have with that processor. You could probably have RAM with faster timings but that isn't such a big issue, you now only lose max 5% performance.

As for the Ethernet, 10/100 ethernet runs at up to 100Mbps, which is almost 70 times faster than a 1.5Mbps internet connection.

But the integrate 6100 isn't worth anything when it comes to gaming. Your also right that if you can upgrade to a 7800GTX then a better power supply is needed. But I do not know if the machine has the required expansion slots.

All in all, this is a HTPC - not a desktop or gaming PC - and as such works nice.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:49 AM

and what can be done and what can't be done with my computer.
My Specs:
:Amd athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2ghz, 2 x 512kb cache, 1000mh fsb
:os- media center edition Windows XP
:Motherboard- Nvidia nforce 410 MCP chipset
:Memory- 1gb 400mhz dual channel PC3200 ddr sdram
:Gpu- Nvidia geforce 6100 128mb shared
:HD- 250gb
:Two optical drives one dvd-+rw and one dvd-rom
:56k modem
:10/100 ethernet
:Slots- 1 pci-e x16, 1 pci-e x1, and 2 pci
:Interfaces- 7 usb, 3 firewire, 1 vga, 1 parrallel, 2 ps/2, 5 audio ports
:Psu- 305w 9Amp-12V

Here is what I would like to do: I want to put the 7800gtx gpu in, which means I have to get a 450w or 500w psu and I don't know if this mobo can support both upgrades or not. Second I though that any mobo could use any kind of memory "I know better now" but I still don't know if ddr pc3200 is the only kind it can use and what the fastest memory it could use.

You appear to have the proper expantion slot to upgrage to the nVidia 7800 PCI-e.

The power supply may be a different problem. Some of the name brand computer use non-standard power supplies. Call Gateway's tech supply. If thier's is non standard they will be able to tell you what PS you need and where to get it. If you do not and plug in a non-compatible PS you will damage you motherboard.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 afterhours

afterhours

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:39 PM

sounds like those upgrades you inquired about are doable. You just have to add a bigger power supply with that new 7800.

ram wise, look up your Mobo's model number and specs off its site and check what its compatible with. That should clear some things up.

Other than that. Its a decent for a home use computer. Good luck
~VAIO~

#5 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

How do I find my mobos model number? I tried nvidias site, nothing, and since nvidia doesn't sell ther boards directly then most of there boards are sold by other retailers like msi, or asus and I don't know who my board came from. I looked up everything I could about it on gateways site and all they ever list is just (nvidia nforce 410 chipset) that's it.
The power supply looks easily swapable but I'll definitley call gateway to see if it is compatable with anything or not.

You guys said that the ethernet card I have which is the 10/100 can handle 1.5mb dsl and faster with no problem "cool" but what's the 10/100/1000 for, what do these numbers mean? and what exactly do they do?

So if I could put both the 7800gtx and power supply in with 2gb of memory installed could I play the latest ps2/xbox games online with my system?

Thanks guys, so far so good glad my sis mentioned this forum :thumbsup:

#6 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:40 PM

Hehe, good luck playing PS2 games on your computer. You can most definitely play any game out there today and to come for awhile with a rig like that. You can generally find the model of the motherboard on the motherboard itself. Just open up the case and look for some letters near the CPU and by the expansion slots. That's where it usually is. Gigabit ethernet is for networks supporting speeds of 1000Mbps. Unless you have a switch supporting speeds 1000Mbps you will not need it and you would never see any purpose for it. Don't bother with it. I hope I helped.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#7 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:11 PM

You know I've gone on a couple of computer forums and this is the first time I've gotten the most direct answers with good detailed info so I must say Thanks to everyone here and can't wait to start bugg'n you guys with more questions lol

Thanks Everybody

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:45 PM

We love it. Cannot wait for the next question.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users