Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video on power-on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm having some trouble getting an Intel D945GNT motherboard to work properly. When I connected it yesterday (a minimum setup, just the front panel, PSU, monitor, RAM, and CPU were attached), I could not get video on boot. There were no beep codes or anything the indicate that the system had POSTed or failed to POST. The board also did not work with a couple different PCI video cards, but those are not known-good. The monitors, cable, PSU, and RAM are known to be good, however. The CPU I inserted is a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4, leading me to believe it's a 64-bit extreme edition, which I know to be compatible with this board model.

It is also worth mentioning that when I acquired the board, the heatsink was missing from the northbridge, which I replaced before attempting to power on the system.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be wrong? It may be a defective board, but I'm hoping that it isn't. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I'm told that the problem may be a corrupt BIOS. This board has a BIOS recovery method that I'll try later. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

UPDATE 2: BIOS flashing completed successfully (as displayed by the computer shutting down a bit after I put it into recovery mode), but the board still isn't POSTing.

UPDATE 3: I've tried a known-working PCI-E graphics card and multiple PSUs. At this point I think it's safe to say that the board is dead.

Edited by Turaiel , 08 March 2012 - 08:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CnRoddy

CnRoddy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Have you checked for swollen capacitors on the board? If you find any that would confirm a dead motherboard...here are some images to help look for them!

Google image search for Swollen caps

#3 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

I checked the caps and they all seemed good. Evidently there are several of these boards lying around, and I'm told that it's possible there were faulty Antec PSUs powering them, considering several of the PSUs were bad as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users