Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss of windows peripherals

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

I was installing updates with windows update and also installing a usb wireless adapter driver. the mouse stopped working, so i forced restart it, and now i can't use the mouse or keyboard. not even sure how to boot from the cd drive to install xp again... any ideas what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hi sniper -
If you have your XP CD then the link below is one of the better Reinstall / Repair tutorials to follow.
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/page__view__findpost__p__489

There are also several other places to find Reinstall / Repair tutorials on the web, if you Google XP Reinstall / Repair.
This also depends on your Operating System -

Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Onscreen error messages, please?

Louis

#4 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

i am not able to do the restore. it boots from the hard drive first. the keyboard nor the mouse works. have tried inserting the windows xp cd. i have a dell dimension. it runs on the home version. the only onscreen error message i get will sometimes be "keyboard failure".

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

What I would try...detach the hard drive from both the PSU and the motherboard...then remove the CMOS battery and physically turn the PSU off.

Lack of power combined with the absence of the CMOS battery may break the reboot loop...this can be tested after a few minutes by replacing the CMOS battery, turning the PSU back on...and then trying to go into the BIOS (with hard drive still disconnected).

FWIW: When installing drivers...I suggest not trying to install Windows updates...and vice versa.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#6 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

lol yea.... thought of that afterwards! :P i finally got it to boot to cd! so do people usually boot to cd first so they don't have to go through all of this trouble?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

The way I work it...I initially set the BIOS to boot from CD. After Windows is installed, I change it to boot from the hard drive with Windows.

IMO, it really doesn't matter...since I can always access the BIOS to change the boot options.

The only time I could not enter the BIOS...I needed to replace the CMOS battery. Once that was done, the system behaved normally.

Sooo...you are good to go now?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users