Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP- Systems32\ntoskrnl.exe error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 melenisia

melenisia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Have XP loaded (not sure which one)Have no boot disc. Got error "windows boot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. Reinstall a copy of the above file" I have no bootup disc or any discs for that matter. When switching on all it says now is "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" Please help! Tks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Are you able to boot into safemode???

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Boot into your Ubuntu LiveCD on the offending machine. Once Ubuntu starts up, go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources and enable (by checking it off) the Universal repository.

Now, open a terminal session (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and type the following:

sudo apt-get install ms-sys

ms-sys is a program used to write Microsoft compatible boot records.

Now you’ll need to figure out what partition is the one hosting your Windows operating system. Back in the command line, type:

sudo fdisk -l

That will list the available partitions. You’re looking for a partition that says something like

/dev/sda1 1 9327 74919096 83 NTFS

The two important bits are the ‘/dev/sda1‘ which is the partition itself and the ‘NTFS‘ which tells us it’s a Windows formatted partition. So your Windows partition exists on your drive sda and it’s partition 1. The MBR for drive sda (assuming you boot into windows using it’s native boot loader) is what you want to repair.

We want to fix the MBR on /dev/sda. To do so, type:

sudo ms-sys -m /dev/sda

You’ll want to change the ‘sda’ bit if your results from ‘fdisk -l‘ are different. If for instance your windows install is on sdb or hda.

Once you do that, reboot the machine, removing the LiveCD from the drive and Windows should come back to you.

Here is the link for ubuntu live cd.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Good luck. :)

If you are able to boot into safe mode I have a dif method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users