Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Adobe Reader X Force McAfee without permission

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

Does Adobe Reader X (10.1.2) FORCE the user to have McAfee Security Scan Plus installed contrary to the user's choice, even when the user REMOVES the check mark for this McAfee item on the Adobe Reader X download page?

I downloaded and installed Adobe Reader X and I removed the check mark for McAfee Security Scan Plus before clicking on the Download button on the page. Now, Adobe Reader 10.1.2 is installed, but the Norton 360 task tray icon has a gray circle in it instead of the green circle with white checkmark.

How do I look for if this McAfee Scan is present, and how do I completely get rid of it if it has been installed without my permission?

Also, does anybody know if this McAfee Security Scan Plus is an on-demand product or a real-time product? In either case, I do NOT want it on my machine:

-----------------------------------------
Laptop Computer, Windows Vista SP2,
Adobe Reader X,
Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 10.0.2
Norton 360 version 5.2
-------------------------------------------

Edited by cafejose, 08 March 2012 - 12:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

McAfee Security Scan Plus is a free diagnostic tool for your PC that works with all security software programs and actively checks your computer for anti-virus software, firewall protection and web security. It uses active protection technology to scan for all kinds of threats such as viruses, trojans, spyware, potentially unwanted programs, adware and browser history. When a scan is complete, you’ll see a report detailing the presence and status of your security protection. If problems are detected, McAfee will provide security solution recommendations. What’s more, McAfee Security Scan Plus automatically scans your computer on a weekly basis to ensure your antivirus software, firewall protection and web security are on and up-to-date.

About McAfee Security Scan Plus

Starting in February 2011, Oracle (Java) began bundling the McAfee Security Scan Plus tool with its Java updates to check for antivirus and firewall. Adobe has done the same. The software is installed by default with the updates unless you uncheck the McAfee installation box as you're updating.
In response to complaints, McAfee has uploaded a KnowledgeBase article explaining how Security Scan Plus was installed and how to remove or prevent if from installing: Unwanted McAfee Security Scan Plus.

Adobe Users have also complained and in this discussion thread many have expressed they are not pleased about the bundling.

Online Tech publications have already written some unfavorable reviews:
That's why it is important to read the EULA and everything very carefully. You should be able to uncheck the box to include the McAfee Security Scan Plus and any free toolbars that are offered during installation or updates unless you want them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 986 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

quietman7,

I hope you are not trying to excuse what those companies have done.

After simply making a fresh computer start after several hours of being off, the Norton 360 icon is now normal. I find no listing of any McAfee product in Control Panel, Programs & Feature. So far, the computer usage and appearances are normal and healthy, but I'm still watching for anything.

As I say, I unchecked the mark for the McAfee Security Scan Plus on the download page for Adobe Reader X, and for my Java updates, there were no McAfee's bundled - not remember from last year, but if any such choices were presented, I would have removed such check marks.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

No I'm not making any excuses. I don't condone the bundling of software without making sure the user is fully aware and has the option to opt out beforehand. McAfee's KnowledgeBase says the MSSP option is selected by default. Unfortunately, vendors are doing more and more of this especially with attempts to install toolbars and add-ons.

I unchecked the mark for the McAfee Security Scan Plus yesterday when downloading the latest Flash Player update on several computers. The file was smaller than the one which could be downloaded with McAfee SSP. Sometimes folks check these boxes but don't always noticed if a check marked actually showed in the box...and you know the result.

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:06 AM

FYI: It's a little known fact that Adobe also provides an ftp server to download their software. ftp://ftp.adobe.com

Here is the URL for Adobe Reader: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/

These install files don't come bundled with other software. But you wont find the latest Adobe Reader 10.1 on it, only 10.0.
So download and instal 10.0 and then use the "check for updates" functionality.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 09 March 2012 - 05:07 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 986 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

No I'm not making any excuses. I don't condone the bundling of software without making sure the user is fully aware and has the option to opt out beforehand. McAfee's KnowledgeBase says the MSSP option is selected by default. Unfortunately, vendors are doing more and more of this especially with attempts to install toolbars and add-ons.

I unchecked the mark for the McAfee Security Scan Plus yesterday when downloading the latest Flash Player update on several computers. The file was smaller than the one which could be downloaded with McAfee SSP. Sometimes folks check these boxes but don't always noticed if a check marked actually showed in the box...and you know the result.

The McAfee Security Scan Plus was in fact not downloaded/installed. The user choice of removing the check for this software on the Adobe download page did work as chosen. The extremely slow Adobe download and the resulting altered appearance of the Norton 360 tray icon after restart were what bothered me and made me believe that something had been installed contrary to my choices. Later computer starts and sessions showed all icons in normal form. Now, through at least 2 days, everything still seems well.

note also: Didier Stevens,thanks for the little known fact (the ftp download site for only the main version number of Adobe Reader 10).

#7 ppostma1

ppostma1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

heads up, Adobe is now giving us a download agent. That automatically downloads and installs McAfee without question or choice. Total frustration. Went through their tech support giving them an earful and found this link: http://get.adobe.com/reader/direct/

Enjoy

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

I also found this Index of ftp Downloads (11.0.00-11.0.06): ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/

Edit: BTW, if you read through the Adobe forums you will see numerous complaints. The recommended solution is to use direct download/Off line installer links. Here is one such discussion: No Option To Opt Out Of McAfee Plus Installation!

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

O/T self delete

Edited by Union_Thug, 09 February 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

O/T self delete

Done. :whistle:

#11 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

I see this when I go to download Adobe Reader: http://gyazo.com/da3f0b8af5d4d5029e5b8a84fe46c684

If you don't uncheck it then you will end up with Macfee security scan plus-whatever, but it's big enough that people should see it (they may not of course). Better than most bundled offers and more clear in my option.

It's on this link (I'm from the UK, so it might be different elsewhere).

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

That web links looks identical to the one provided by ppostma1 but does show the Optional Offer information with a prechecked box to include McAfee. I am not able to uncheck that box...it simply takes me to a download for GyazoSetup.exe. The UK link shows no info under Optional Offer just like ppostmal's link.

With the direct download links you shouldn't have to worry about McAfee offers.

#13 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

Hi,

You're probably looking at my image Quietman (gyazo is the program I use, it's a lot easier to share screenshots), it's showing that there is an option to uncheck it which I can do.

The direct download is definitely the best option, I'm just pointing that there is an option to uncheck. However, it is a UK link so whether it works elsewhere I wouldn't know.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Ok. That explains it. I was thinking it was some sort of screenshot but not sure.

I have seen that option on US links. There are so many download links I can't keep up with them so I only save the ones for direct downloads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users