Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the everage lifespan of a desktop PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm just curious. I just bought a PC form Cyberpowerpc. Maybe a year before I except it to fail, I can start saving up. Surprisingly my Dell Laptop c640 latitude still works pretty good. I did get some blue screens a while back and think its starting to die. But still works. its been like 6-7 years I think 0_o

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

You can realistically expect about five years out of a computer these days. The capacitors on the motherboard are not as good as they used to be.

I would get an extended warranty with the new computer you buy, to get covered for three years.
If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

If you build your own with a good brand motherboard that only uses Polymer Capacitors you should average a longer life for the motherboard.

Hard drives and Optical drives will Die.
High quality fans will last longer than cheap ones. Same with power supplies.

There are Motherboards from ASUS for example with a 5 year warranty
Intel has two series of SSD drives that have a 5 year warranty.

I would expect either of thos parts to last longer than 5 years.

Having said that you get what you pay for.

Plenty of people out there using older computers.

How well they last depends on the care given to them too.

Laptops will generally IMO be less durable than desktops.

It is rare (If at all possible) to kill a desktop by spilling liquid into the keyboard, Laptops on the other hand it is easy to do.

Most desktops don't get dropped and break the screen or housing.

Edited by rotor123, 10 March 2012 - 04:13 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 hworta

hworta

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

About two years.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

A lot depends on the quality of the computer and how well its taken, I would say 5 years is a good average, especially if its a good home built computers with good products and good cooling. Some of your lower end systems might only make it 2, but most about 5. I have several fully functional computers that are 10+ years old, that were heavily used for at least half of that.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

As a baseline, after 5 years you will be getting close to the point of unusability (unless you are upgrading), if you continue to upgrade to the newest service packs and versions of windows. That's another thing to keep in mind.
If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

#7 hworta

hworta

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

Your computer will last a lot longer if you keep the room cool also. Most PC's you buy will start getting pretty slow after about 2 years.

#8 fruch

fruch

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

Your computer will last a lot longer if you keep the room cool also. Most PC's you buy will start getting pretty slow after about 2 years.

I have a desktop that is five years old and still running great. It's a Gateway (32 bit) that came with Vista. Slowing down is pretty common after a couple of years if you've never done a reinstall of the operating system. Junk just accumulates and your regular maintenance can only keep up for so long. Once a year, I reinstall my operating system. The ol' girl just flies along after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users