Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP home SP2 installed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 maxheadroom

maxheadroom

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:20 AM

I installed SP2 from the CD. I let it auto update the system. My system is working fine. It made a backup so that I could uninstall SP2. Since I have had no problems, I would like to remove the unistall back up data. I don't see myself going back to the past.

There is folder named 126f52***********. It contains a folder named i386. This folder did not exist prior to the upgrade.

Does anyone have any ideas about removing the unistall backup?

EZ :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 04:34 AM

I would like to remove the unistall back up data.

I was planning on removing the uninstall folder, myself. I planned on keeping i386 though. In my mind, uninstall is one thing, reinstall backups are yet another. The uninstall I planned to get rid of is in C:\WINDOWS. Shown below with the latest sp2 patch in light blue.

Posted Image

The reinstall backups are in C:\WINDOWS\system32 where I think they may be useful in ways that the uninstall files are not... I would appreciate hearing arguments/rationale that would make it clear to me, also. i386 files are needed, though.

Posted Image
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 maxheadroom

maxheadroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:59 AM

Thanks PHAWGG,

That helps me with the uninstall problem. I agree that the i386 files are important. However the files I am wondering about are in the root directory, not the systems directories.

The items in yellow are the ones that I am concerned about.

Posted Image

Well that was a learning experience. It took four tries to get the image posted.

How can I make it smaller like the one in the previous post?

EZ :thumbsup:

Edited by maxheadroom, 08 November 2004 - 11:37 AM.

#4 thatman

thatman

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:05 PM

Hi maxheadroom

There is folder named 126f52***********. It contains a folder named i386. This folder did not exist prior to the upgrade.

Does anyone have any ideas about removing the unistall backup?

If the above file is not in your c:windows folder.

XP_SP2 has not deleted this file after the upgrade had finnished.

Before removal check there are file in c:windows$NtServicePackUninstall$

If you have a copy installed there, it is safe to remove the file 126f52***********

all the best

thatman

#5 JSKY

JSKY

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:33 PM

Cleaning up after SP2.

SP2 - Removing Archived/Backup Files:
If you selected "yes" and did a backup it should be listed in Add/Remove. If not, check here: Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version \Uninstall
If you no longer wish to uninstall SP2 you can remove those extra files, to do so: Set your folder options to show hidden files then go to: C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ and delete it.
After uninstalling the folder go to Add or Remove, choose uninstall and it will fail and then the listing will be removed.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:55 PM

thanks, y'all. That helps. Any words about the reinstall backup files?

Edited by phawgg, 08 November 2004 - 09:56 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 Lexx

Lexx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 04 December 2004 - 08:15 AM

Yo guys, i have a simular question, i have alot of "blue" marked files and folders allover my harddrive and my guess these are all uninstall related files? Is its safe to delete these aswell? Or do SP2 still useem? If so why are they blue? Just curious as i find SP2 works like a charm i thought id remove the uninstall files, is there no program to uninstall the uninstallment? lol :thumbsup:

Thnks in advance

Lexx

Edited by Lexx, 04 December 2004 - 08:16 AM.

#8 Lexx

Lexx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:10 AM

Oh i know what it is now, its "compressed files", wich you should not delete and has really nothing todo with SP2. So cheers :thumbsup: ill getrid of that catalog and atleast get 300mb more space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users