Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Barcasaur

Barcasaur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

Alright guys. Please bear with me as I am not very educated when it comes to computers and I need help pinpointing a problem.

First off I’ll gladly get you any information and specs about my computer if you let me know the best way to get to said information.

I have been having random lock-ups, and by that i mean while loading something or just while playing Warcraft my computer will freeze and never recover from the freeze, I give it plenty of time upwards of 15 minutes before forcing a shut-down.

when I restart it then failed to load windows, after waiting for at least 20 minutes (just being sure..) for it to try and start I force the shutdown and it starts windows recovery, first time i did this (about 2 weeks ago) it restored my pc and then I ran just fine. Yesterday I had a minor freeze and then just an hour ago i had it completely lock up and I did the same things I did last time.

After windows failed to start, (after the restore the system did while fixing problems itself), it then told me it wasn't able to fix the problems so I went to the advanced options and ran the diagnostics test that did not find any problems but since windows wasn't going to load after i had to force shut down again, then in the advanced options I selected a restore point and it did it quickly and was able to boot up like normal.

I can also tell you the first time this happened it started out with that annoying Windows not refreshing thing, (EX: create a new folder or move a file, and you have to hit f5 to see the change cause it wasn't manually refreshing.)

That’s basically what I am dealing with and I am wondering where the problem *could* be.

I can get system information, and I can check and logs if I am directed to what would be best to check, i do know that my computer is free of any spyware or adware, I haven't done anything to question that and i have recently done a full system scan with malwarebytes that came up with nothing bad.

On top of this nothing seems to be going wrong with any temps or gpu usages, fans running normally, system is very clean.

To conclude if anyone could help me out id be truly appreciative! If I had to take a shot in the dark it might be my hard drive is faulty? I just am clueless because once I am up and running everything is as smooth as can be...

(PS: i looked thru the other forum subcategorys and i figured this was the best place to put this, if i was wrong i apologize.)

EDIT: i found a post http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/windows-7-freezes-fails-to-start-568501.html that is very similar to my situation in terms of what exactly is happening, its old, and its super in-depth. but still the problem this user describes at the beginning is very much like mine

take note i never have got a BSOD, my computer did just fail to restart, and i got some static-buzz noises just now after running warcraft to tell a friend i may be down and out for a bit of time till i get this resolved. because of this slow down and static noise that i heard i figured that one point in the forum post i linked may be ringing true that would be when he said this.

"P.S. I have read on several places online now that incorrect ram voltages and speeds may cause such problems and if they did it wouldn't be detectible in the memtests. I am reluctant to mes with these (they are currently on auto) but am eager to know if they could be cauing the problem."

other then this i am at a lose for what to do i am not were near as experienced as that user is but i figured id add it to my post because its what i was able to dig up searching Google to find a situation similar to mine.

Please please please if i can get any help at all it would be amazing... i am desperate

Edited by Barcasaur, 08 March 2012 - 05:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hello,

First off, to be safe, don't act on anything until you know what your doing and how it might affect your system. Its just as easy to FUBAR as it is to fix.

You noted issues with RAM and voltage. Unless you bought and added RAM prior to your issues I wouldn't jump to this conclusion.

Although you have checked with AV I wouldn't say its clean yet. Make sure your updates are all applied for MS as well as AV.

You haven't provided anything along the lines of what your system is. I assume its a Win 7 OS due to where you have posted but that's about it. What are your systems specs, memory, HDD size, desktop or laptop, etc.

You note that HDD failure is possible so lets do a quick check for that...can't hurt and might be something to it. Open a command prompt or shell but right click and select run as administrator. Type "chkdsk /f" no quotes and hit enter. It will ask you if you want it to scan on your next reboot as the drive is in use. Say yes and then reboot normally and let check disk do it's thing. If your lucky it will find a small amount of corrupted files and repair them. (Note if files and/or folders are damaged and recovered it's rare that they will be reusable. Have a look at them, they will be left at the root "\", and delete them if you can't tell what they are when your machine is fixed.)

If this is a desktop, and your capable, open the lid and see what's inside. Look around the CPU/GPU. Fans and heat sinks get clogged with dust, lint, pet hair, etc. Same goes for the power supply, but DON'T open that. If it's dirty unplug the power cord and turn on to drain any residual power. Then use a plastic vacuum attachment to remove any buildup. For the power supply you can vacuum around the holes and fan openings. Over heating can cause freezing like you noted and a stuck CPU/GPU fan could also add to it. (If your vacuum can push are as well as pull, like a car vacuum, blowing the air over the hardware is better.)

Just be careful and use some common sense if you open the case. If its something your not comfortable doing try the rest and leave this for a repair shop.

See if

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users