Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help all my media is gone!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jgmeyer1980

jgmeyer1980

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

Hi everyone Im new here but have gotten help from this site before and as I have tried everything I can think of hopefully you can help me. A few weeks ago we had new internet installed in our home, 100mbps my wifes laptop would only go up to 30mbps. the tech mentioned doing an update on the network card and adjusting some settings and she would be able to utilize all of the bandwidth. During the updates she had an error which froze the computer, she then restarted and there were several errors. She called me and I told her to roll the computer back using a system restore point, which she did. However, after the restore all of her pictures songs and videos were gone, it was almost as if the computer had been restored to factory settings, I know this isnt the case as there are file fragments and folders for her pictures still in the My Pictures folder. I tried to fix it thinking it was just the virus that hides all your media but no luck. I did purchase a data recovery software and found everything but it is horribly jumbled and would take weeks to set right. Is there anything I am missing or any advice to restore the original files so I dont have to go through all the trouble of organizing them again? Her computer is a dell inspiron N5010 running windows 7 home premium service pack 1. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

So you have recovered all that was lost, but its not in the order it was originally?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 jgmeyer1980

jgmeyer1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

Honestly Im not sure we have everything there is a mish mash of .gif images and banners, most of the song labels are meaning less numbers, im hoping that there is another way to undo what was wrong...

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

When you recovered the data, did you recover it to or copy it to the folder that it was originally in? If you have left the folder alone that you lost the data in, you might be able to recover it from there with better filenames and the directory structure more intact with Recuva. It is free and I did a blog post on it just yesterday. I've used it to help half a dozen different people in the last month alone.

It can be found at
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

and my blog post with step by step pictures is at
http://html5.litten.com/windows-file-recovery-series-part-1-recover-deleted-files-with-recuva/
(MODS: no advertising exists on the blog but please delete the link it if it is inappropriate to post)

If you have more questions,let me know.
James

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

What data-recovery program was used?

In addition to the one suggested by NeverSayDie, you may want to try others...such programs vary in efficiency, so it's a good thing to try more than one.

Partition Find and Mount — free partition recovery software - http://findandmount.com/

Recovery Software, Partition Table Doctor - http://www.ptdd.com/

Recovery Software, Recover My Files - http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Throwing something else into the mix:

Have you used the search function to see if by some chance the files are still somewhere on the computer?

Do a search by entering the name of a song, video, and picture to see if they can be found.

#7 jgmeyer1980

jgmeyer1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for all the help, I used the program Recuva for the undelete. I tried searching for the files with no luck, I also tried to recover files from just the certain file folder, but it came up with 9 to ten copies of each picture, so Im kinda at a loss here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users