Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Date and time will not open

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

Needed to look at the a calendar the other day, dbl click the clock and nothing. Went to Control panel same results. Dont know exactly when it stop working. Run a scan with Malwarebytes, and superantispyware, and both where clean other than a few adware.
any suggestions?

Dell Dimision 520
XP Pro
SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from the link below.
http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=7141&file=15&evp=18a37c9c3804bd022748a38eb328614e

Install the program then run it go straight to option 4 Create a system restore point,Also back up the registry. Uncheck Repair cd/dvd missing leave the rest checked.Leave restart system when finished checked.And hit the start button this can take some time,just let it run Make sure and close all applications prior to running this even your browser. Post back and let me know how it goes.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 07 March 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

Above link takes me to a login page.

Direct link to referenced program, http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

I have never heard of this program or the website proposing use of said program. In itself, that is a small thing, since many programs exist that I've not heard of or used.

Although I have no way of determining the usefulness or safety of the above referenced program...I believe it pertinent to note the phrasing at the webpage.

"The program is still young and needs to grow. My goal is to have a repair tool that can save someone from having to do a reinstall.
To help those people who can't afford a computer tech, and of course to help my fellow techs out there. So if you have any problems, repair ideas or suggestions to make the program better please post in the forum and let me know :-)."

I also noted that the tool asserts the following claims:

Reset Registry Permissions
Reset File Permissions
Register System Files
Repair WMI
Repair Windows Firewall
Repair Internet Explorer
Repair MDAC & MS Jet
Repair Hosts File
Remove Policies Set By Infections
Repair Icons
Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
Remove Temp Files
Repair Proxy Settings
Unhide Non System Files
Repair Windows Updates
Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working
and more...

For the record...

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
I would suggest...that the OP seek a cimpler way of determining what the problem might be...and how to overcome it, rather than a tool which promises to overcome everything which might possibly be incorrect (by whatever standards the developers of said program used) and which involves editing of the system registry in an unknown manner.

FWIW: Date/time (and other system) anomalies in Windows usually appear as the result of a failing CMOS battery.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2012 - 07:58 AM.

#4 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Forgot to mention... that the cmos Battery was changed with a known "Good Battery" prior to posting.... and did nothing to improve or make the problem worse....

The link is appreciated, but I will need to do some research prior to using such a tool...Any tool that openly admits to being young and in need of growth makes me skiddisk.... on it usefulness or possible harm that could be a direct result...

Edited by triad_cowboy, 08 March 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

In this thread it seems to have solved some issues. :)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic445485.html/page__st__15

Also have a go at this.
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/system_maintenance_for_windows/en-us

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 08 March 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#6 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

The first link I seen nothing that actually pertain to my problem....

the second link,

We're sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix it at this time.

#7 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

In the first link I was wanting you to see that nothing was harmed by using the program.The choice is yours though.
Perhaps setting your services back to default will help.
http://www.blackviper.com/2008/06/16/windows-xp-service-pack-3-services-registry-files/

Also reset everything in the registry back to default.
Open Command prompt and type the following easier to just copy and paste.
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

Download and then install the Subinacl.exe (~370 KB) from Microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

open note pad and copy and paste the info below into notepad then name it regfix.bat save it to your desktop run it and reboot.

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive%\ /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f

Here is the source of this info.
http://carrona.org/resetreg.html

You will need to reboot after doing each then run sfc /scannow in command prompt.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 08 March 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#8 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Can anyone else help?

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

Hello, we can try this

• Please download Dial-A-Fix from one of the following mirrors:
  • Extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Double click Dial-a-Fix.exe to start the program.
  • Press the green double checkmark box (Looks like this: Posted Image)
  • Check "Empty Temp Folders", as well as "Adjust Time/Date" in the prep section.
  • UNcheck All others ...green checks in image.
    Posted Image
  • Press the GO button in the bottom of the window.
    Posted Image
  • Exit/Close Dial-A-Fix

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Boopme,
Downloaded, ran it and still cannot open it...

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

OK, it appears to be file xorruption. Lets try SFC. If this fails we need a Repair not full install.

Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Ran The sfc /scannow... it did not help...

attempted to do a "repair" install....

my steps were to boot from CD,
when giving the choice to press enter to install
R to repair
and another to exit.... I choose R

it goes through a few steps of checking files... bla bla bla.... then goes to a black screen (appears to be a CMD window)
gives you the option to choose which drive to modify or type exit to cancel....

Seems like i have more problems than apparent....(scratching head in confusion LOL)

EVEr had one of those DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH moments... LOL

I just reliaze my mistake... instead of choosing the R i needed to choose enter to continue.... then at the next screen of options Choose to a repair install.... just jump the gun....

Repair in running and it should take care of all my problems.... thanks to those who help and those who attempted to help.

Edited by triad_cowboy, 09 March 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#13 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

New problem.... Do I need to start a new topic?

after doint the repair install and letting it run it course... it is stuck in a never ending cycle of oing from the splash screen to the Windows logo screen to the boot option screen Boot normally, last known good config, safe mode and so on.....
Regardless of which option is chosen it repeats the above process...

I have done a hard shut down, unplugged and removed the cmos battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes..... replace the battery and restarted the puter same results....

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

I will ask someone that handles these non booters to look.
You may wind up reformatting. It appears there is a lot of damage.

#15 triad_cowboy

triad_cowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

Thx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users