Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Stuttering Problem: Processor Related?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blade Kiro

Blade Kiro

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

On my new clean install of Windows 7, I noticed that my mouse was randomly stuttering for a short second or two. The best way I can describe it is that someone is randomly unplugging and plugging it back in very quickly.

After a short search, I heard it was some sort of processor problem in the msconfig.exe -> Boot -> Advanced Options

My computer is a 2 core, 4 thread processor. I tried setting it to 2 processors; the issue didn't seem to arise. However my FPS in games dropped drastically.

When I changed it back to 4 processors, it came right back. Any idea on how to fix this?

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Core i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30 Ghz, 4.0 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics Family
Logitech G400 (no problems on other computers)

Edited by Blade Kiro, 07 March 2012 - 09:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

You may try running the Hardware Troubleshooter and check if that could diagnose the problem:

a. Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel.

b. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Hardware and Sound, click Configure a device.

c. ‌ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

You could try deleting the mouse driver in Device Manage, then reboot the machine, Windows will reload the driver.

Edited by Nephilim1955, 07 March 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#3 Blade Kiro

Blade Kiro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Tried both of those, nothing. It's really bothersome, but it doesn't seem to affect me in-game though. It does cause FPS drops, but the mouse doesn't freeze.

EDIT: And the touchpad doesn't freeze either, or it hasn't. This is really confusing.

Edited by Blade Kiro, 08 March 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#4 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Do you have another mouse you could try? The cord may of went bad. Test by bending the cord near the USB connector or mouse. It may also be failing electronically. Go back into device manager and reinstall all the USB controllers, as well. Try a different USB port. Try the mouse on another computer.

Edited by Nephilim1955, 08 March 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#5 Blade Kiro

Blade Kiro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

Thank you for your suggestions.

It seems when I boot into Safe Mode that the problem doesn't arise. What do I do with this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users