Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP DV5000 mass storage controller issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 python01

python01

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

I am trying to install Win XP onto my old HP DV5000 laptop.
When the set up starts I press the F6 to load additional support drivers but I get message back that the setup did not recognize the controllers and gives me option to specify controller myself and provide driver for it.
Can anyone tell me what make/model of mass storage device this laptop uses? And how do I load it at the time of setup?
Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

only drivers i see at hp site is for pci card reader. if that is the issue then take it out until after the install of xp.

drivers are at hp site, click on support and search for your model.

#3 python01

python01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Even if I found driver for this controller somewhere how can I get it to load when windows setup starts?

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

what happens if you don't press F6 and just install xp. you should not need third party drivers unless you have a SCSI drive or RAID array. You can check in BIOS(setup) for type of drive or check specs at HP site.

#5 python01

python01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

it tells me that no hdd was found

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

<<When the set up starts I press the F6 to load additional support drivers...>>

I guess my first thought is...why are you doing that? What media are you trying to install XP from?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxpclean1_3.htm

Louis

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Not to mention that with XP when you press F6 to load drivers you will need a working floppy drive and floppy disc that has the proper F6 drivers for you hard drive controller chipset.

To complicate matters the dv5000 series laptops have different chipsets in them. Intel and AMD CPUs use different drive controllers.

The true model of that laptop is on a label on the bottom and will look like dv5195Us or dv5203xx or whatever. That is the true model number for that laptop.

So you will need a external floppy drive plugged in when you power up the L/T, You'll need a floppy disc with the proper F6 drivers for your specific hardware and then you are good to go with XP. Or you can look in the bios and see if there is a setting for the drive controller to set it do ATA or IDE mode and avoid the F6 route.

Or Install Vista or Windows 7.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

install says no hard drive ? what does BiOS say ?
hardrive manufacturer site will have bootable diagnostic program to test drive.

also you could remove the drive and re-install it to make sure there is a good connection.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

it tells me that no hdd was found

The XP install will say that if you needed to load a F6 drive during the install.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#10 python01

python01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

I have tried running the Primary Hard Disk Self test in Bios and the result says #1-07 Fail
Not sure what it means but when I connected the drive to USB/Sata converter and to another computer I could browse the files and format the drive without any issues.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

It means that the drive could be going bad and that further testing is needed.

What brand drive is it?
Can you go to the makers website and download a windows drive test and run it against the drive on another computer?

For what it is worth, if there are any files on that drive you would like to have I would copy them off now just in case.

You could go here "Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools Links to Manufacturers Utilities"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

If all else fails try the Seagate Diagnostics for Windows.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users