Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Delete File

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hi All -- I ran an online Secunia scan and it brought up a few applications that were outdated. I took care of all but one file, which is located here:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\Flash11f.ocx. I went to flash and downloaded the latest version and thought I was done. Just to be sure, I ran Secunia again. Again it told me that this file was still on the computer and still a risk. I manually checked and yes, the file is still there.

When I right click that file and select delete, it asks me to confirm that I want to delete this 'read only' file. I say yes, then it tells me 'access denied', and something about making sure the file is not full or write protected, or in use. I closed down Firefox, thinking that was the problem, but it still won't delete. This is apparently an older active x plug-in and it's a security risk.

I right clicked again to look at properties, and I see no reason why I should not be able to delete it. I am assigned 'full control' (my user name is) in that box.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

this worked for me
http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

#3 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

and for me too. thank you! the flash file is history. when I right clicked (on the flash file) and selected unlocker, it did not find that it was tied to any processes, but then offered to take care of it anyway. great little app.

this worked for me
http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users