Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs not working after startup repair

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Negotron

Negotron

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hi, I just finished cleaning my PC of Malware with the help of Gringo over in the Security section and while running a program (TFC) my computer froze twice and when I tried to boot it up started the start-up repair. After it was done some of my programs didn't work correctly. One of them was Windows live essential(MSN messenger & Windows mail) I tried re installing and when tried to install again it gave me an error "Couldn't install programs" can anyone help me!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnO-2011

JohnO-2011

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Open up a command prompt window (as administrator) and run system file checker:

sfc /scannow

You may need a Win 7 DVD of the same SP you're running.

-John

#3 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

Vista and Windows 7 users follow these steps to uninstall Windows Live Essentials.

1. Open the Control Panel and then double-click on Programs and Features.

2. A list of installed programs on your computer will appear. Select Windows Live Essentials then click on Uninstall/Change.

3. In the new screen that appears, select the Uninstall option, and then click Continue.

4. Now tick the Windows Live Essential programs that donít need and then click Continue.

5. The uninstallation process begins. Wait for a few seconds for it to complete then restart the computer.

Uninstall Using Windows Live Installer
The above methods of removing Windows Live Essentials are very easy and straightforward. They will work for you, but if for any reason they fail, here is what you can do.

The following method uses the Windows Live Installer to uninstall Windows Live Essentials from the computer, and whether you are running Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP, the same method will be used to uninstall the program.

Open the drive where Windows is installed, in Windows ExplorerComputer and navigate to Program files -> Windows live -> Installer. There is a file wlarp.exe, double-click on it.

In the new window that opens, select the Uninstall option and click Continue. Tick the Windows Live Essentials programs that you donít need then click Continue. The Windows Live Essential programs will be uninstalled from the computer. Restart the computer when the process is complete.

Uninstall Using Software Uninstaller
The above methods of uninstalling Windows Live Essentials will work for you but if they fail, the last thing you can do is use an uninstaller utility that will help you remove Windows Live Essentials from the computer. There are many uninstallers available. You may try any of them for uninstalling Windows Live Essentials. Iíve used Perfect Uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller, but for removing some other programs from my computer, and they showed very good results. Once you have decided which one you will use, download and install it on your computer. This will help you get rid of Windows Live Essentials, with 100% results.

Now that you know all the ways how to remove Windows Live, go ahead follow the above methods and the Windows Live Essentials programs will be uninstalled from your computer in no time.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3945

#4 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Vista and Windows 7 users follow these steps to uninstall Windows Live Essentials.

1. Open the Control Panel and then double-click on Programs and Features.

2. A list of installed programs on your computer will appear. Select Windows Live Essentials then click on Uninstall/Change.

3. In the new screen that appears, select the Uninstall option, and then click Continue.

4. Now tick the Windows Live Essential programs that donít need and then click Continue.

5. The uninstallation process begins. Wait for a few seconds for it to complete then restart the computer.

Uninstall Using Windows Live Installer
The above methods of removing Windows Live Essentials are very easy and straightforward. They will work for you, but if for any reason they fail, here is what you can do.

The following method uses the Windows Live Installer to uninstall Windows Live Essentials from the computer, and whether you are running Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP, the same method will be used to uninstall the program.

Open the drive where Windows is installed, in Windows ExplorerComputer and navigate to Program files -> Windows live -> Installer. There is a file wlarp.exe, double-click on it.

In the new window that opens, select the Uninstall option and click Continue. Tick the Windows Live Essentials programs that you donít need then click Continue. The Windows Live Essential programs will be uninstalled from the computer. Restart the computer when the process is complete.

Uninstall Using Software Uninstaller
The above methods of uninstalling Windows Live Essentials will work for you but if they fail, the last thing you can do is use an uninstaller utility that will help you remove Windows Live Essentials from the computer. There are many uninstallers available. You may try any of them for uninstalling Windows Live Essentials. Iíve used Perfect Uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller, but for removing some other programs from my computer, and they showed very good results. Once you have decided which one you will use, download and install it on your computer. This will help you get rid of Windows Live Essentials, with 100% results.

Now that you know all the ways how to remove Windows Live, go ahead follow the above methods and the Windows Live Essentials programs will be uninstalled from your computer in no time.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3945

I don't know why you post this, is of no use I have problems INSTALLING it not uninstalling.

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

One of them was Windows live essential(MSN messenger & Windows mail) I tried re installing and when tried to install again it gave me an error "Couldn't install programs" can anyone help me!!!

Completely "uninstalling" the software (per Nephilim1955) first, and then attempting to re-install makes perfect sense to me as does JohnO-2011's suggestion to run the system file checker.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 JohnO-2011

JohnO-2011

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

I could have explained my recommendation a little better...

Malware often corrupts various system files. You've eliminated all of the active malware, but some damaged system files may be left behind. These system files may include the tools that let you uninstall various apps, it's really hard to know for sure. The system file checker will test the integrity of all the major system files, and help you replace any that have been damaged or replaced with imposters.

Many apps require being uninstalled before they can be re-installed. In fact, most do.

In the end, a massive malware infection usually means you should reinstall all of Windows and your apps. Otherwise you might run into similar problems until you do. Hopefully your system will work without a complete re-install, but that's what's going on.

-John O

#7 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

I could have explained my recommendation a little better...

Malware often corrupts various system files. You've eliminated all of the active malware, but some damaged system files may be left behind. These system files may include the tools that let you uninstall various apps, it's really hard to know for sure. The system file checker will test the integrity of all the major system files, and help you replace any that have been damaged or replaced with imposters.

Many apps require being uninstalled before they can be re-installed. In fact, most do.

In the end, a massive malware infection usually means you should reinstall all of Windows and your apps. Otherwise you might run into similar problems until you do. Hopefully your system will work without a complete re-install, but that's what's going on.

-John O

I tried what Nephilim1955 said to run the system file checker but this comes up "You Must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility"

John O I understand now and I believe that might be the issue I think I need a complete re-install because most windows programs are not working, cant open images with photo viewer, can't set images as desktop background and some other small issues all related to windows

Edited by Negotron, 08 March 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#8 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

nvm I got it to run waiting on results

#9 JohnO-2011

JohnO-2011

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

Glad you got it, there's a this link up at the top I forgot to use:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/

-John

#10 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

Glad you got it, there's a this link up at the top I forgot to use:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/

-John

Yep that's what I was missing had to Google it but thanks 75% done. Will reply and let you guys know if this fixed it or not.

Edited by Negotron, 08 March 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#11 Negotron

Negotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

ok done...

Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations

so what now??

0 user(s) are reading this topic