Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What should I download for my new computer.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I know I'm gonna need Java. Were do I download Active X since I need it to download the drivers (I go to the companies site and it will scan for me, custom install).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Have you received the new computer yet?

#3 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

I assume you haven't got the system yet and are planning to have most things you'll need ready to install when it comes.

Are you planning to do a full clean install? Does the system come with Windows pre-installed or with install disks?

What version of Windows will be installed on it, Windows 7, Windows 7 SP1?

Anything MS, like ActiveX, will be addressed when you do your updates. If you aren't sure what's loaded on the system I'd grab the SP1 download that matches what you bought; IE: Windows 7 Pro SP1.

I tend to avoid Java myself, to many holes, but if you must have it get it from Adobe, not from any links other sites might point you to.

If your video card is "special" get the latest driver from the vendor such as Nvidia or ATI. Same goes for the sound card/chipset.

You can also go to the system vendor and see what the latest BIOS version is and what changes it contains. Then when you check your BIOS version you can see if it should be updated.

Most of the rest should come with the system or already be installed if OEM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users