Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot XP/Ubuntu can NOT start Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrag

mrag

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

I installed latest Ubuntu last year on my Win XP machine. All things seem fine in either OS. But the other day I wanted to start XP in Safe Mode and could not. PC starts and I get the normal menu options to select Ubuntu or Windows. I select Windows and press F8 for Safe Mode, I get a very quick (unreadable) view of a blue screen, system shuts down. On restart I select Windows it gives screen saying "system did not properly shut down, how do you want to restart, blah, blah." I select Safe Mode, screen crashes again. On restart then Windows automatically starts 'normally.' So I can't get to Safe Mode. I have Avast Pro and nothing shows there on a scan. Nothing on MalwareBytes nor using Housecall. Microsoft Security Scanner did find some exploits which it supposedly removed. Actually everything seems and has seemed to work well, I just cannot get to Safe Mode.

I did ask at Ubuntu and there was a suggestion for some payware http://www.moonvalleysoft.com/safe-mode-fixer-p-29.html
I don't know if that works with a dual boot and WOT gives it an "unsatisfactory" rating. Is this me? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technomutt

technomutt

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

The weirdest system I've built (for myself, would NEVER give it to anyone) was a triple-boot XP, Win7 and Ubuntu. Absolutely don't like the way Ubuntu wraps itself around Win7 which in turn wraps itself around XP. Disliked it so much, I blew it all away again. Have a buddy who runs straight Ubuntu and runs XP in VirtualBox when he needs XP. He seems happy with it.

The main question I would have is this... did you EVER have a successful safe mode boot to XP in this configuration?

#3 mrag

mrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

"did you EVER have a successful safe mode boot to XP in this configuration?" I do not recall ever trying to boot into Safe Mode before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users