Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outgoing email encoding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

I'm a third party to this issue, and I've got limited details available, but here is the general problem.

A friend of my wife is trying to email her. When my wife gets the email, it is just jibberish (looks like html, but doesn't display that way in the email client). This same friend can email me or others, and the email comes through just fine. If I look at the email send to my wife directly on the ISPs server it is indeed corrupted.

Looking at the email headers, I see that the friend is emailing me using "Charset = Windows-1252", while the email to my wife lists "Charset = Unicode". Suspect that may be the problem.

Also from the headers, it appears the friend is using Microsoft Mail. Is there somewhere in MM phone book where the outgoing encoding could have been inadvertently changed? Any tutorials that show how to change the outgoing encoding in Microsoft Mail for a specific contact?

Thanks.
Derfram
~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

What font is the sender using?

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

I would expect whatever the default. I will see if I can get that info tonight - is it going to be seen in the message header?. The 'friend' is about 70 and not computer literate, so I would think most settings are defaults.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

It would be in the font sentings via the new email message window.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users