Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer running really hot?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

I just got my new computer form Cyberpowerpc and I installed fanspeed and everest. I notice that in Fanspeed, Temp 2 goes near 100 C. Everything else is low. Whats going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Hello,

Is that reading on both programs? Post a screenshot of speed fan if you can. Also please post your specs. :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

if anything was getting that hot I would expect it to shut down.

I should mention that I do not run any monitoring programs like that. If I did it would be from the motherboard maker, In my Case that would be ASUS.

On my desktop it runs cool enough that I never hear the CPU fan speed up. Despite heavy CPU loading doing video encodes.

If it really worries you, pull the side and use a IR thermometer to see if there are any hotspots.
Another option is to use a finger on the parts to see if they are really hot, Not recommended since if it really is hitting near 100 C, that would near the temperature of boiling water and could give a bad burn.

There does exist the possibility that since it was shipped to you that a Chipset heatsink could have come off or loose.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

I have 3 programs. Fanspeed says my temp2 is running near 100 c. Everest says my CPU is near 100 c and HQmonitor says its tmpin1 is near 100c. In Bios, they are running like 20-24 c.

It does kinda worry me since I been hearing goods and bads about cyberpowerpc. So I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy form them. IBUYPower i hear was even worse but still hear the goods and the bads.

I also set the alarm in Bios if it goes up to 80 c. It should come form the comptuer right? I didn't hear anything.

Edited by CalusBlade, 07 March 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

If it really worries you get the IR Thermometer and measure everything in the case to see it they are getting hot.

I would trust the bios readings in HW Monitor more.
If the CPU was really 100 degrees the computer would have shut off well before reaching that temperature.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

HW monitor's program says timpin1 is near 100 c and bios says everything is at 20 c. Which one is right?

As for the heat sink that may have fallen off, here are pictures. I donno which is the chip set.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/dsc00077mt.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/dsc00075i.jpg/

#7 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

I read somewhere that temp 2 is the case. I have a Black Thermaltake Commander Mid tower. Does it have its own senor?

Oh ummm if the temperature gets too low can it hurt my computer? Right now its like running on 22 c 0_o.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

Low is a good thing. Also sometimes the mobo reports a temp-sensor that isn't actually there. Example speed fan is reporting a -128C for my temp3 <--- Not actually there. That is what I believe is going on with your system. IMHO I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it isn't randomly restarting then I don't see any issue with ignoring that temp. :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#9 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

I put my finger on the chips parts and no chips we're hot. so I'm little more sure its a wrong reading.

Note: I did wash my hands and discharged on my weights just in case of static build up.

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Right now its like running on 22

This is definitely good.

As suggested above, ignore the incorrect temp. reading. If required, use a program like CoreTemp or RealTemp to confirm the readings.

Again, if it really does get that hot, the system shuts down automatically to prevent any damage.

I put my finger on the chips parts and no chips we're hot

Yes, that's a good way of checking.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 08 March 2012 - 07:41 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#11 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

Most hardware like HDD, CPU, GPU shouldn't get hotter than 60 or 70 under load. In the 20s I would expect it's just started and not doing anything.

Your best bet in this case is to call the shop you got it from and let them know and ask why. As noted above anything running as hot as you noted would soon crash and/or freeze. And touching the chips would burn you right away. Ever touch a HDD that's been running for a while or just after playing a game?

The BIOS should be right and let you know what sensors are active and reporting. Third party apps may not work with your setup or require configuration before properly reporting temprature. Of course I'm hoping you haven't set it to fahrenheit and think it celsius. ;c) 25C = 77F

#12 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Nope, I always leave it as default. its celsius. I know once it starts to go to 70c its bad. 60 is just a warning signs

#13 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Found the developers site, seems he's not updated this in years.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/twistedfury/fanspeed/

Introduction

FanSpeed is a small free utility designed to run under Windows 95/98/NT/2000 to control the speed of case and CPU fans depending on the temperature readout from the available motherboard thermistors. It is possible to greatly reduce the speed of a CPU fan and still maintain adequate cooling while the CPU is idle, as long as the operating system (i.e. for Linux / NT ) halts the CPU. Windows 9x users would need to run a third party application such as CPUIdle or VhaltD (recommended - it's free and included :) for FanSpeed to have any noticeable effect. The benefit of all this effort should be obvious to most overclocking BP6 users: peace!

FanSpeed is split into a service written by Tim Hughes and a GUI part written by Matthew Palmer. The service runs independently of the GUI and actually performs the task of monitoring temperatures and controlling fans. The GUI connects to the service and provides feedback and a front end for installation, uninstallation and modifying configuration.

Download the latest version of FanSpeed now!

Since I've not been developing FanSpeed for years now, I've released the source code under the lesser GPL license.
Supported Hardware

FanSpeed supports the following hardware monitoring chips.
Winbond W83782D
Winbond W83627HF

FanSpeed has been tested on the following motherboards.
Abit BP6
Abit BP7
QDI Plantinix 4X

Version History

First public release
Added support for Winbond W83627HF chip.
Proper detection of Winbond W83782D chip.

SpeedFan looks like its free and is still being updated and works on Win 7.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

#14 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

the link on the bottom is the version I have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users