Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 Loading Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Perturabo

Perturabo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Alright, I'm posting here basically out of desperation. These forums have helped me in the past, so I really hope the same is true now.

Here's that Speccy thing that I saw most posts request: Speccy
I have the OS installed to the OCZ Agility3 drive. Firmware on the drive is up to date.

My Windows 7 64bit has about a 90% failure to load rate, and is also (although rarely) freezing during operation. My father (taught me everything I know of computers) and I have tried effectively everything we could think of to find the cause of this issue, and have failed. It does not seem to be a BIOS problem, but obviously I could be wrong. This all started a few months ago when I switch from 32 to 64bit (yes, clean install, new drivers, etc).

By "failure to load", I mean this: BIOS performs normally, but Windows itself either freezes(60%), blackscreens(35%), or reboots(4%) on its own. The remaining 1% is BSOD, although that's only happened a couple times, I can't remember the last time it did.
After BIOS completes, the Windows splash screen will show and do the glowy orbs animation. Immediately after this is when the system will blackscreen. Occasionally, this is where the system will reboot itself, just after the splash screen. If the splash screen finishes, then I get the blue Windows “Loading” screen with the circular loading icon. This screen will freeze with “Loading” in place, as well as the mouse cursor and the loading icon in the center of the screen, frozen. This is the problem that happens most often.

Sometimes, the system will make it to the desktop, and immediately freeze there. I’ve also taken to leaving the system on at night occasionally, because I hate having to try and start it. However, the system will sometimes freeze during the night, even with no open applications. The desktop is frozen in place (no BSOD), so I can see the time it froze at on the clock. There doesn’t seem to be any pattern with it.

Occasionally the system will freeze during operation, typically while web browsing or watching a video, effectively never freezing while playing a game or just listening to music. When this happens, a horrible squealing/grinding/popping noise is constantly emitted from the speakers until I restart the system.

The Windows logs never show anything relevant, just standard “System unexpectedly shut down” messages.

A short list of things we’ve tried already:
• Formatted/ reinstalled Windows more times than I can count: always seems to work initially, but problems continue shortly thereafter
• Updated drivers
• Removed programs/drivers/services not needed
• Removed overclocking; i5 2500k now running at base speed
• Stress tested RAM and CPU with various programs (prime95)
• Replaced SSD (had a Microcenter brand drive, upgraded to OCZ)

The aggravating thing is any test/change we’ve made has either told us the system is fine, or made no difference whatsoever. It's to the point where my system, which should take about 10 seconds to start, takes about 5 minutes of me sitting there hitting the reset button over and over, hoping that it will start properly this time.

I’m more than willing to try anything or run any test suggested to me. This whole situation is extremely depressing and I’ve all but given up on having a normal functioning desktop. I’m seriously considering making the laptop I recently ordered my main computer.

Please help!
-Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

A couple of things to try.

Make sure your boot drive is on one of the Intel SATA ports.
Try a Intel SATA II port.
Unplug all the other drives.
Be sure controller is set to AHCI
Try Safe mode, F8 right as windows starts to load.
Try a fresh install on the other hard drive with the SSD unplugged.

Try removing 1/2 of the memory, No difference try the other half.

After each change test.

As i read your post this has been happening since you first clean installed?

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 07 March 2012 - 12:52 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Perturabo

Perturabo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

As i read your post this has been happening since you first clean installed?

That's right.
I've tried all of those things before, except installing on a different drive. I'm getting closer to thinking this is the issue, and that the SSD is just inherently unstable. Unfortunately, I'd have to get a new drive, the other that I have is my media drive and I'm absolutely not formatting or installing an OS on it. The RAM has been tested, it's definitely not at fault.

Safe mode has loaded fine every time except once. Restarting from safe mode results in the same issues.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

As long as there is room you could install on your media drive as long as you do not remove the partition or format it. I do that sort of thing all the time for testing purposes. If it is a drive that has windows then the Win7 installer moves the windows files to a new directory created for that purpose.

However with no backups it pays to be cautious.

It does sound like the SSDs you have / had are not compatible with the motherboard.
I'm not a fan of OCZ SSDs they released them way early before the firmware was prime time ready.

I have four Intel 320 series SSDs in sizes form 120Gb to 300Gb in regular use in two desktops and two laptops. Knock Wood, never an issue with the drives even before the firmware update. Intel did release a firmware to prevent a problem that some experienced. One desktop used 7 days a week.

The laptops have always been trouble free with regards to Leaving them running and closing the screen and later opening the screen and clicking the profile to keep working. Same with forgetting to plug in and having it put itself to sleep and plugging it in and waking it back up. An area where OCZ SSDs had lots of problems.

From here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726
OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB
User reviews on 3/6/2012 4:22:09 PM

Cons: Windows won't boot from the drive. I have it installed properly to a SATA III 6GB/s port with the proper cable. It is recognized in BIOS just fine, and my SATA properties are set to AHCI. Windows installer recognized the drive and would install, get to the last reboot, get to finishing installation, and blue screen. On some attempts, it would make it to the desktop before blue screening. I could reboot and access the desktop for a moment before it hanged and crashed.

Then I installed Windows on my traditional HDD with no problems whatsoever. From here, Windows recognizes it. I can put files on it and view em no problem, but it's absolutely not the intended purpose of this drive. Very disappointed.

Cons: When clean installing to an Asus K53TA laptop, to replace the mechanical drive that it had, it seems to install the OS and everything just fine, but after having all of that complete through, it would reconfigure, prepare system for first time use, then reboot, did this for like a good hour... OCZ firmware toolbox does not recognize there is a drive, but what their support forums have told me, it already has the newest 2.15 driver. so there is a bit of silver lining

OCZ Support Forums
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/index.php

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 March 2012 - 10:41 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

One other thing to try. Only install the Intel chipset driver for the motherboard. Or as a test uninstall any Intel drivers that work with the drive. Let windows install its AHCI driver and test. By Uninstall I mean in "Programs and Features" not the Device manager.

I recall seeing issues with Intel and OCZ not getting along.

Edited by rotor123, 08 March 2012 - 10:51 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users