Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unnecessary RAM consumption

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FIFAguru

FIFAguru

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

My pc has got Windows 7 Professional 32bit.The problem with my system is it consumes unnecessary amount of RAM though nothing is working in background except windows background programs. I have tried shutting off some programs but it has helped me in gaining only 26-27 MB. I have 2048 MB of RAM but the system consumes almost 621-649Mb though it is idle. It is disabling my computers somehow gaming ability. Pls help. Your help is highly appreciated.

My Specifications:
Intel Pentium 4@3.0GHz
2048MB DDR3 RAM (1333 MHz)
1024MB Intel G41 ExpressChipsetFamily (GMA x4500)
Gigabyte G41M Combo Mobo
No Problem with Power Supply
160 GB HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Click Start.

In the search bar type msconfig and hit Enter.

Click Startup(tab).

List all entries with a checkmark next to them, or post a screenshot(s) if possible.

Edited by TheShooter93, 08 March 2012 - 03:05 PM.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

1) Open Task Manager to the processes tab. That will show you where the ram is being used.
2) Absent the presence of malware or some other issue, as a rule the more ram the system uses, the more efficiently it is running (up to a point, of course). The old saying is: "Unused ram is wasted ram"

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

Allan is right about opening the task manager. (As well as the rest.)

Right click on the taskbar and select task manager. When it opens go to "processes". In the bottom left corner select "show all users". (Don't worry if it doesn't match what I said exactly...I'm writing this in Linux so can't check at the moment.) You will need to be admin to do this.

Once open and showing all processes you'll have a good idea what's running while idle. You can then go to the top and change the view of the columns. I tend to add the file path and a few others so I can see the files location and command string used. Be careful not to kill any items that are needed or your system will reboot or crash. Look for things like your video card driver helpers or ctfmon that although handy aren't really required. Look them up in Google at a few places to make sure you know what its for then try killing them, but only one at a time to ensure results are as expected.

Be aware that 2GB of RAM is nothing these days. I would expect most of it to be used on a Windows 7 system with a typical install setup. You can always see about making changes to your page file to help balance things a bit more. Although I've never used it myself I understand that others have used readyboost and a 2GB USB stick with some performance improvement. (Not looking to debate this just pointing out options.)

I tend to turn off a lot of services and processes I don't need or want. I usually keep in the 30 running processes range. It depends how many bells and whistles you want.

You can also go here for an excellent guide to what does what and which are safe to disable.
http://www.blackviper.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users