Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which choices to make updating to Adobe Reader 10?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

I hope to update from version 8 to version 10 of Adobe Reader. I clicked on Help, Check for Update.
I click OK in the dialog box. A page with a Download button is displayed and I choose this. Then the webpage in Internet Explorer opens, http://get.adobe.com/reader/download/?installer=Reader_10.1.2_English_for_Windows&os=Vista&browser_type=MSIE&browser_dist=OEM&d=Google_Chrome_12.0&p=Google_Toolbar_7.0

So the instructions in the webpage tells what to do with the download dialog when this appears, but first I need to know what to download or what to save. Internet Explorer gives a rectangle along its bottom asking me what I want to do with the file, but since this does not match the instructions, I am lost. I MUST first go through the choices in the little rectangle at the bottom of Internet Explorer, BEFORE I can get the dialog box for download with the RUN and SAVE buttons in it. WHAT DO I NEED TO CHOOSE in the rectangle at bottom of Internet Explorer? RUN or SAVE?

--------------------------
Windows Vista sp2, Internet Explorer 9,
Adobe Reader version 8.3.1
Norton 360 also present and fully updated (but I'd not expect this to be any problem).
--------------------------

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

Remove the old one and reboot.

Adobe Reader X (10.1.2)
http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=HRZAC

Note UN check the box so you do not install the toolbar,unless you really want it..

Free! Google Toolbar search Google from any web page, block pop-ups

Yes, install Google Toolbar - optional

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Remove the old one and reboot.

Adobe Reader X (10.1.2)
http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=HRZAC

Note UN check the box so you do not install the toolbar,unless you really want it..

Free! Google Toolbar search Google from any web page, block pop-ups

Yes, install Google Toolbar - optional

What do you mean exactly in "Remove the old one..."?
Do I need a removal tool? Do I need to do something with the Registry? Would choosing to "uninstall" through Windows Control Panel thoroughly remove Adobe Reader 8.3.1? Do I need to manually delete any folders?

I was hoping to have some clarity about how the webpage instructions I found relate to receiving the first download dialog box. For any possible separate uninstall procedure, I first must know exactly what the user process is.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Simply, in Control Panel>>Programs >>uninstall the Old Adobe reader there (Adobe Reader version 8.3.1)
,then install the new version from the link I provided.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

Simply, in Control Panel>>Programs >>uninstall the Old Adobe reader there (Adobe Reader version 8.3.1)
,then install the new version from the link I provided.

Finally did as best as possible according to what you described. Uninstalled v8.3.1 through Control Panel, then restart. Used then Internet Explorer and went to get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=HRZAC unchecked the MacAfee scan, clicked Download, ... then in the IE9 rectangle piece at bottom of IE9, I chose RUN. From then on, instructions at http://get.adobe.com/reader/download/?installer=Reader_10.1.2_English_for_Windows&os=Vista&browser_type=MSIE&browser_dist=OEM&d=McAfee_Security_Scan_Plus&p=Google_Toolbar_7.0 differed from actual allowable user process. This was a very long, long, download and installation. About 25-30 minutes to download and install. Big gray rectangle to show download and install; then when almost all progression to ~85%, another light gray window came up showing installation process.

Little IE9 rectangle when finished install of Adobe, asked if want to enable PDF link helper - I chose YES.

Except for the slowness, not really difficutl. Just expected better match between the actual user procedure and the instructions on the Adobe web page.

So up to now, Adobe Reader X appears to be installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users