Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MONITOR SCREEN PIXILATING

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 irishmoll

irishmoll

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hello Hardware Experts!!

I have a 23-inch ASUS VH238H 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor, attached to a Lenovo W520 Core i7 Thinkpad laptop. Up until about 4 days ago, they ran together just fine. When I started the monitor and laptop to work on my client's project, the monitor screen started pixilating--there were tiny dots moving across the monitor screen; text was jumping, wiggling, changing shape; and photos danced, also with a pixilating effect.

Thinking I might have a virus, I ran all of the clean-up scans using Norton 360. Nothing was found.

At the time, I was using HDMI, so I switched to another HDMI cable and the pixilating continued. I then disconnected the HDMI cable, installed a VGA cable, and reset the monitor to VGA. The problems continued. Initially the problem appeared only when connected to the Internet. Now it seems to be spreading to other types of documents, to where the text is breaking up or fading.

The problem does NOT occur when using the laptop screen; only when the large monitor is connected and only on the large monitor screen.

Fortunately, we have 4 of the same model ASUS monitors, so I disconnected my monitor and hooked up one that was new in the box. Again I tried HDMI and set the second monitor to the correct settings, but the problem was just as bad as with my monitor.

I called Lenovo today and Tech Support updated my drivers and said they couldn't troubleshoot the ASUS because it isn't Lenovo hardware. I think it's the laptop rather than the monitor(s), because I had the same pixilating with both ASUS units. Updating the drivers did nothing to improve things.

I'm calling ASUS Tech Support next, but I'm looking for some unbiased ideas from the Bleeping community. It looks like if it's the laptop I'm going to have a hard sell with Lenovo. Has anyone else had this problem on a monitor?

Thank you!

Irishmoll

Edited by irishmoll, 06 March 2012 - 05:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Check the box for Warranty Service Provider, select you country and search

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/service-provider/default.page?

I put in the zip code for a NJ location and it found 6 locations in the 20 mile radius. Those would be able to do Warranty or off warranty repairs.

That is the nice thing about Lenovo. You can go to a local shop for warranty repairs.

They should be able to hook it up to a external monitor and test. You did try with a different make and model external?
Different resolution?

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users