Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i installed paltalk on my computer, and it froze ! now im locked out of my admin account

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 irishclaf

irishclaf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hello. i am quite annoyed at the moment.
I installed a program called paltalk from cnet, which is supposed to be a safe download site. well anyway soon as i downloaded the chat program paltalk, my computer froze, and i had to press the power button and boot up.
when i booted up ( windows 7 starter by the way ) i entered my password for my admin account and it wouldnt accept it, said wrong password. so it seems my computers been hacked ?

im only able to get on here, because i had another limited standard account with no password that im now using. but i cant get onto my admin account to make system changes, uninstall programs, do system restore and all that stuff.

what do i do ?
im using a netbook, so i have no cd drive by the way.
im using mcafee anti virus and it detected nothing. which doesnt say much for that anti virus does it ?

anyway, hope somebody can help me .

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Can you login to Safe Mode via hitting F8 after Logo Splash Screen.

#3 irishclaf

irishclaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Can you login to Safe Mode via hitting F8 after Logo Splash Screen.

Hi. ive not tried that yet. but would it be worth a go ? it would still look for my admin password which seems to have been changed ?
and on windows 7 starter ive not got a default admin account set up.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Well try the safe mode approach.

#5 irishclaf

irishclaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Well try the safe mode approach.

tried it and it only lets me log on with this limited account, not the admin account i have set up. the password must have been changed by the paltalk program i downloaded. well i dont know what else to do. mcafee is finding nothing on the scan. and this netbook hasnt a cd drive. and without access to the admin account i cant go to system restore or factory settings grrr.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

Please download The Ultimate Boot CD and use the password recovery tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users