Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 "Not Genuine"

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 luie620

luie620

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hey guys!

Ok so back in 2009 I had purchased an ASUS notebook for my girlfriend. This was around the time Windows 7 was about to come out and PC companies were offering free upgrade discs for some computers preinstalled with Windows Vista. We qualified for one and received an upgrade a few weeks later.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. She was having issues with her laptop so I decided to restore to factory settings. I reinstalled Windows 7 with the same upgrade disc after restoring back to Vista. Now a month later, she's getting errors saying the copy is not genuine unless she enters a product key.

The problem is, there is no key on the CD and she thinks she threw out all the papers that came with the disc.

So now, of course, it's up to me to figure something out. <_<

I just called the Microsoft activation team. The first guy couldn't figure out what to do. Transferred one level above. Still no help. He told me ASUS has they're own product key and gave me a number to contact them.

Called ASUS. No help of course. Was told to buy a restore CD but I don't see how that would help.

Sooo now I'm stuck. Either I purchase a restore disc or a new product key, which I'm trying to avoid since money is tight, or I go back to Windows Vista, which I'm also trying to avoid.

I was hoping somebody would have some advice on what to do!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

The only option is to go back to Windows Vista, as Windows 7 Home Upgrade is about 99 dollars.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

If Asus is the manufacturer of the notebook...installation and upgrade issues are up to them to resolve, if legit, IMO.

If not legit, that's a different story.

Louis

#4 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hmm...it seemed like the rep I spoke to didn't really know what to tell me. I think I'm going to try to call again.

Thanks for the input guys.

#5 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

Usually the laptop will have a license stuck, taped, glued to the machine on the bottom. In your case it will be for Vista and probably not work for Win 7, but, this is tied to the upgrade that was offered. Someone at ASUS, or maybe MS if they want to help, should be able to trace that. I wouldn't hold my breath but its possible. If you have any backups or images saved you can restore that, as long as it will let you login, and then search for a tool to strip or copy your license back off of the system for you.

Something like;

Activation Backup & Restore for OEM Windows Vista and Windows 7
===============================================================

Brian Mathis <bmathis-abr>

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

Just a note...MS has no responsibility for support for OEM systems, by definition. That is the responsibility of the manufacturer to whom MS issued the license and the manufacturer then passes on said license as part of its system support responsbility. Asus would be my target for such issues, particularly so considering that Asus provided the upgrade capability to its customers.

The EULA for such systems is pretty clear, IMO.

Louis

#7 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

It still has the Vista license sticker under it but the two reps at ASUS I spoke to didn't bother with it. Who knows, maybe third time's a charm?

I put Vista back on it for now. I might try again at another time. Somebody has got to be helpful over there!

Thanks again guys.

#8 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

ASUS has a head office at HWY 404 just south of HWY 7.

Asus Support Canada

Asus Service Center Canada
+1-888-678-3688 (24 hours)
802 COCHRANE DR, UNIT 2, MARKHAM, ONTARIO, CANANDA L3R 8C9

Look it up but any time I have an issue I go to this office and deal with the RMA or what ever in person. Much better results than the phone or email.

#9 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

If only I lived in Canada. Maybe you can take a trip for me? :lol:

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

ASUS SUPPORT LINKS -

United States/Canada (English)

System Products Support:
All-in-One, Desktop, Netbook, Notebook, Nettop, or Tablet1-888-678-3688 - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Component Products Support:
Display, Graphics Card, Motherboard, Multimedia, Networking, Optical Storage, or Server1-812-282-2787
Monday – Friday, 5:30am – 9:00pm PST;
Saturday – Sunday, 6:00am – 3:00pm PSTeStore Parts & Accessories Support
http://estore.asus.com1-510-791-3705Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:30pm PST

Your country not covered ?? Please ask here, as I have a list - :thumbup2:

Edited by noknojon, 15 March 2012 - 06:41 AM.

#11 Miggymeister

Miggymeister

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

OP,

I can't believe I'm actually trying to help someone instead of asking for help.

But I'm in a mess on my windows 7, and I have the same problem which means until you activate it you can't update.

I finally just typed activate in the search key and "Activate windows" popped up. I hit it and it will activate for several hours so I have to do it daily.

But at this point I'm thinking, one day at a time.

Have you tried that? And write DOWN that activation key that pops up. Don't throw it out, in case you need it for another call.

Miggy

#12 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

noknojon, I've already called the first number you mentioned and spoke to two different people with nothing but confusion and running in circles.

Miggy, I actually just gave up and reverted back to Windows Vista. Too much of a hassle for now.

Thanks everyone for your advice! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users