Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files Cannot Be Defragmented

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Purplebrat

Purplebrat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:52 PM

HI! I am trying to defragment my hard drive but it keep stoping at 17%. I printed out the report and it
says that I have 0% Free space for fragmentation! How can I fix this. :thumbsup: \

Thanks in advance! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:53 PM

Clean up the hard drive:

Delete all temp files using the Windows utility Disk Cleanup, empty the recycle bin, compress files, see how much room your system restore files are taking up and limit the space available to just a few restores.

Delete programs you don't use (one at a time and reboot in between).

How big is the drive, by the way?

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 February 2006 - 09:54 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:52 AM

Now is the time to move all those family pictures or unplayed songs to disk and delete them from your hard drive. The defragging application does not have enough temporary storage area on your hard drive to allow it to move things around. A rule of thumb is that defrag needs at least 15 per cent of your total hard drive capacity empty to work.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:19 AM

To see any improvement through defrag, there needs to be atleast 15% free space for the noncontiguous chunks of data to be moved around. Always best to keep the drive clean and defragged regularly as it never takes long each time u do it. Once the drive gets full, ur options are limited.
Here is a link on freeing up HDD space..may help
http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2007p162id97442.htm

#5 Kruncher

Kruncher

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:24 AM

Or just download the trialware of Diskeeper which I've used on multiple computers (some that have _maybe_ 6% free) with great success. Plus it will finsh in half the time the windows defrag utility would.

Edited by Kruncher, 18 February 2006 - 02:27 AM.

#6 winw

winw

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:41 AM

I just met the same thing on my computer, what I do is to backup all my files and format my drive.
I had try defragment tool of system and third party,but failed and i found that it took long time to del files or move files on the drive.

#7 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:13 PM

See if you can download this- its the free version that Kruncher is talking abt i guess, faster definitely but i think u need to have the minimum free space even for this to do a decent job.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users