Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless repeater/extender recommendations

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mattbirk

mattbirk

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

I am looking to extend a current wireless network to be able to reach a back porch area that the connection is very small, and is unreliable from where the router is located.

Does anyone have recommendations of a product I can use to extend the wireless signal? What about something like this: Linksys RE1000

Or does someone have one they have used before and it works great?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

Well the first question I have is what is your current wireless router (model number)? How far estimated are you trying to get signal? How many walls will the signal have to "go through"?
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

Personally I have tried range extenders like these in the past with very poor results. Coverage was slightly improved but was still spotty and unreliable. For me I usually suggest using an Access Point or AP device like THIS. The downside is you need to run a cable to the AP but then it supplies perfect wireless for the area.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

Just a follow up, I used the Cisco device I mentioned above and it worked great for what I was needing. Just wanted to say thanks for the input.

Sorry I didn't get back earlier, I also didn't know the estimated distance as I had never been to this house before (it was a side job).
Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users