Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Handful of aim/firefox/adobe bugs?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Vilhiem

Vilhiem

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

My fiancee' and I have been keeping up a long-distance relationship for about 2 years and we seem to be having a tad issue with the messengers we've been using. Specifically AOL/AIM. Also, as mentioned in my introduction post, I don't give out personal information. So please do not ask for my information to add me on any messengers. Thanks!

Apart from AIM'S usual weirdness from time to time, we don't have any issues. Though lately I've began to notice issues when I'm clicking on web-links that I am sent via aim. I can receive links just fine. However AIM freezes and sometimes reverts to the "whited" out coloring characteristic of freezing for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes and then resumes its normal state with normal coloring of the window. I am using an older version of aim (Version released in February 2011.) due to the newest version having the automatic chat-logs.

To put it simply. When clicking urls in the aim chat-window, aim freezes for a time and then unfreezes. Sometimes the link will open, sometimes it will not. Clicking the link again will produce the same Russian Roulette-type results.

Here's a few things I've noticed.

1: It only happens when links are clicked on in the chat-window of aim. I have yet to see it in another chat-program.
2: I have noticed that it happens more often after using flash/browser intensive websites such as youtube or Kongregate.
3: I haven't tried using another browser.
4: I have yet to see a pattern of how many links it takes, or anything akin to that.
5: Restarting AIM usually stops the freezing from happening, for a time.
6: On another version of aim, an error was given with the name of, "apphangb1." (Error was given on the version released in 2009, but cannot get the error to show for the 2011 version.)
7: Sometimes, closing other tabs in firefox seem to help with the issue.

Here's what I've tried.
1: Reinstalling both aim and firefox.
2: Disabling all addons and plugins.
3: Running virus scans.
4: Google.
5: Using another version of aim. (Used the versions released in 2009 and 2011.)
6: Tolerating it.
7: Redownloading, uninstalling, and reinstalling all programs, addons, and plugins.

General specs: (Let me know if you need more.)
I'm running Windows 7. All of the plugins and firefox (and it's addons.) are up to date.

I don't seem to be having any issues elsewhere and I don't see any evidence of having a virus or some form of malware or trojan and I have done multiple scans of my computer with several different programs.

Thank you in advance! I look forward to a potential solution for this problem I'm having.

Also, raise your hand if you hate the new version of aim and their silly attempted to log chats. lol.

**Also, to any moderators, my apologies if I have posted in the wrong area.**

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2012 - 09:55 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users