Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell laptop media keys not working after clean install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

I had to do a clean install on my Dell Inspiron 1750 laptop as I had a few corrupt system files that sfc /scannow could not fix. First problem was that I couldn't do a repair as I had done a Microsoft Anytime Upgrade and had no disc to put in for a repair. So I had to do a complete clean install of Home Premium and then do the upgrade. Unfortunately I wasn't sure when the the corrupt files issues started so doing a restore was out of the question.

Long story short, everything is now working very well EXCEPT, the media keys of the keyboard for Mute, Volume UP, Volume Down, work but no longer show the little open menu when I use them as they use to. I have searched all through Dell's support and cannot find a special keyboard driver or is this possible an audio driver?

I am running Win 7 64 bit, and the Device manager shows the 2 keyboard drivers as both being Microsoft. I believe this to be the problem, but am not sure.

Any suggestions on how I can get these extra keys to start working again with the menu pop up meters as before??

Thanks much,
TryN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:11 AM

Is the recovery partiton still intact?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

Sneaky,
No unfortunately not, just a reserve very small amount of space that states Reserved for OEM.

Thx
TryN

#4 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Sneaky,
If it's a file, I do have every single disk that was used at the time of manufacture. I contacted Dell 3 yrs ago when I purchased and told them I had to have the disks, after all I paid for the software and drivers. At that time they were kind enough to send me everything on disk at no extra charge.

Is there possible someplace on the drivers utility where I might find it? I loaded it all already tho.

TryN

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Look for the disk marked drivers, You do need to install the discs software for it work. Then when it is used it will identify all the hardware and provide the drivers. However those will be Vista drivers most likely but that may show you what you need for the OSD to work.

OSD = On Screen Display

It may be under utility rather than drivers.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

First remove both keyboards in device manager and reboot the computer let windows re-install them. If you didnt use the restore disc to reinstall then i would search the disc's for the driver file's. I looked at dell's website and couldnt find your laptop
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

Thanks to you all. The file was located in Dell's QuickSet and I have installed and everything is as good as new.

You guys are all GREAT!! :)

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hi, Glad to hear it worked out.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Awesome glad you hear its working again :thumbup2:
Chad Mockensturm