Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vostro 1000

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 davereese

davereese

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Hello my name is Dave and im having troubles with my Dell Vostro 1000. Ok Im a computer tech. So atleast i like to think so. But when it comes to laptops not so much! I could build, Fix, Tear apart PC's But im not so good with laptops. My issue is that when i got this laptop the lady said it was working then it just died. So when she said i could have it i ofcourse said yes i never turndown a free computer or laptop. So i took the computer home plugged it in and it turned on. So i felt bad that this lady just gave me a free laptop. So i called her up and said listen i plugged it in and it works fine. She said give it alittle it will shut off. So sure enough it did. So i put in 3 different hard drives formatted the all and put windows xp on them and all 3 of them after I installed everything hard this wierd sound like a high pitch winding down noise then a click. and it shuts down or turns off. Some time it goes to a blue screen that has some codes on it and says memory dump. Now i could type them codes down but i was just wondering if anyone has had this problem or might know what it might be. If you need the error codes ill be more then happy to type them in for ya. thanks in advance. Much help needed cause its a really nice laptop and i wouldnt mind keeping it for myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Hello Dave & welcome to the forum!

Is it getting hot? Turn it over, remove the battery, unplug it & spray the vents & cpu fan out with compressed air.
Make sure that the cpu fan is spinning when powered on.

Reseat & test the memory with mem386.
Thats what I would do

Edited by Eyesee, 05 March 2012 - 09:29 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 technomutt

technomutt

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

If you haven't totally erased the original hard drive, install it and run Dell's system diagnostics... if there's a hardware issue, it will find it. When you boot, it's F12. Choose Diagnostics. Will run a RAM test first, then more if they pass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users