Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU is very high and will go to a 100% when using Internet exploxer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 spaceman2155

spaceman2155

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hi,
I am using Windows Vista premium Service pack 2 on a laptop, in the last 4 months my CPU usage has shot up and now the average is 50%, even when I am not running anything and if I do CNTL ALT DEl and windows task manager there is no process that is hogging all the CPU, also it I go into Internet Explorer the CPU shoots up to 100% and stays at 100%. But then on another day it may drop down again to 50%, it seems to be intermitting.

I put a question into the malware removal forum about 2 months back thinking it was a virus of some typ, but there was no malware on the Laptop and have only got around to posting the problem here now.

Also when the CPU is at a 100% it is slowing down applications like Word, Excel etc.

Thanks,
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

When you go to the task manager and look at services you can sort by CPU usage by clicking on the word CPU. Also be sure you have "Show Processes from all users" checked.

I have seen high CPU usage caused by Teatimer from Spybot Search and Destroy, And McAfee for example. Not usually but sometimes.

The trick is to find out what is using the CPU cycles.

Of course Word and Excel will be slow if the CPU is using all its processing power for something else (!00% usage).

It is normal for System Idle Process to run at 99% as that is unused CPU cycles.

Attached File  TaskManager1.JPG   75.4KB   3 downloads

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 06 March 2012 - 06:23 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users