Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu, Gparted and other linux stuff wont run?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dnst3

dnst3

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

i don't know what's up with my aging pc. it's run ubuntu off a boot cd just fine about 10 or so months back. i had to do this in the past because something happened with windows and so i used ubuntu to transfer files from the windows drive to a backup filler drive. however it seems to be giving me kernal panic and some other errors now. whether i run gparted for partitioning or ubuntu old and new or other linux stuff on hirens boot cd or UBCD. hell, even trying to run mini windows xp from the newest hirens cd/WinUBCD wont work either. even so i'm not here for that. if i could just get ubuntu or knoppix working on my system i could transfer the files over, format and partition the drives. here's a picture i took with my digicam so you see what i mean:
http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae218/dnst3/whatisthis-1.jpg
what is going on? i don't see how things could have changed so drastically that it wont run.

specs:

3.25GB PC3200 sdram
80GB HDD 7200rpm
ATI Radeon XPress 200
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz

that's the best to my memory. anything else needed?

well thanks for your and any help.

i just noticed my profile has my specs as well. even more so the better info too i guess. haha. :)

Edited by dnst3, 05 March 2012 - 06:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Not 100% sure but if you have not used this machine in a while you may have to set the clock in BIOS and if this is the case you probably need a new cmos battery.

#3 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Other things to look at:

• failing RAM
  • bad power
  • drive going bad

I've had all three. And the battery problem.

#4 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

well to let you know i've been using the machine ever since that first time with ubunto. i've already used memtest86 for 12 hours on the ram and no errors came up. not sure about the psu.... i will try it with no drives powered tonight and report back. i'll take another picture when i do. other than that i will check the bios clock first. what other signs are there that the cmos battery needs replacing?

as of right now system says 23:6:45 and system date says Mon, Mar 5 2012
today is certainly monday the 5th of 2012, but it is a minute and a half slow. nothing to worry about when it comes to the battery right? i'll try removing the drives now and only leave 1 cdrw drive connected and then run ubuntu or knoppix. bbl

Edited by dnst3, 05 March 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#5 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

When the CMOS battery dies, the time will reset to a default every time the power is unplugged for a minute.

Some problems depend on the OS, and some will show in the BIOS. But what they are can depend on the BIOS type and version, as well as other factors.

One that shows often is the machine will fail to see the boot sector the first try, then boot OK on the second one. Another is logins may fail when the time is too far off. Still another is some programs won't run, or they crash after running, also related to time and date.

#6 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

well as you can see it's not the battery? the time is only off by a minute and a half at most. what else can i check? i tried the gparted, ununtu and knoppix cd's on someone elses pc. they work fine. grrrrrrr

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

possible failing cd drive or needs lens cleaning. Do you have another cd drive you can try ?

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

Ubuntu 9.04 has a "disk check" in the menu of the live cd. Though it confuses some, it actually tests the cd it is booted from for crc and other burn errors. I keep several versions of the iso's handy since some Dell desktops will not start x correctly from the later live cd's

#9 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

well this one isn't a dell. i might have another cdrom drive somewhere.... ill try that. could it be something else that's causing this errors like the internal gfx or cpu?

#10 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

well it took me a while but im back but with problems. ive been trying to restart the install of windows xp home with sp3 on cd for some time now but this is where i am. i just tried it not too long ago. i had windows from the cd format the drive. which i formatted before that. the install seemed to go smoothly. however i didn't watch it. i turned off the monitor and walked away for hours. i changed the boot order from cd to hdd because it was setup as cd first when i was trying to trouble shoot some problems. once i changed the boot priority back to hdd first. the windows installer started and then i get 0x000000d1 and it mentioned the file pciidex.sys, i tired a reboot and then it gave me a bsod of 0x00000007f. i dont think files were mentioned. that's all i've tried thus far. ive googled but any answers require windows to already be installed i think... then i continue
well i dont know why but the restore thing wasnt in the choices of os. also safe mode did not start. so i did as the page said and renamed that intel file by using the recovery console from the cd. after another reboot it seemed to me that the install was going to restarted. as windows stated it was restarting the install. however i received another bsod. IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL 0x0000000A. no files were mentioned. what do you think?

i looked online and found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063
i followed the instructions up to disabling cmos settings. i could only disable plug and play OS. after a reboot i get 0x000000D1, driver irql not less or equal. jeez! thats where i'm stuck @ right now.

#11 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

in an effort to get things moving or reformat the drive ive tried to run mini windows and also the mini windows from ubcd on the actual computer and neither of them worked. i would see the windows logo loading screen but the pc reboots. the winubcd was the latest one but burned on a cd. i decided to check the bios for any errors and retry a restart. a bsod of IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL 0x0000000A came up so i wet back to the bios. funny thing is the graphics setting was set to pci, even after i loaded default bios. i witched to on-bored and auto'd the audio setting in the bios. after this i rebooted and it seemed to work.... but right after windows said restarting dot dot dot, it took me to a light blue background and nothing happened for hours. just thought id let you all know. i restarted again and each time no bsods. i would only see the windows xp logo with the loading bar underneath. it would just reboot without showing a bsod or having a bsod? im not sure.

#12 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

have you tested the hard drive with manufacturers diagnostic program

#13 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

thanks all for trying with me. but i gave up. i should of replied a while ago. the pc was just on its last legs. it wasn't moving forward at all. i havn't tested the drive but it worked when i used it. but a good test is due i think so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users