Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Home Premium freezes up shortly after logging on

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tierra

tierra

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

When I start my computer normally I can log on just fine with my password and be at my desktop, but after a few minutes, my computer freezes up even if I am not running any applications. I have already disabled all startup programs and unnecessary services and it did not help my issue. I tried system restore a few times and that did not work, and then all restore points happened to be cleared. Using the search from start menu on my computer and going to the control panel also freeze my computer up even in safe mode.

I made a topic in the Malware removal forum and it was found that my issue was not malware related. I was redirected here and I hope that with the help of some of you I can get my issue resolved. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Hello tierra,

While I'm not a hardware expert, I can start by helping you run some basic hardware diagnostics on your system. I have read your Malware post.

I have few questions before we start:
1.) What is the make and model number of your computer?
2.) When did the freezing start (days ago, weeks ago, months ago) and did it follow any memorable event (new hardware, software, malware, error messages)?
3.) Are you still running in "selective startup" and booting to your normal desktop?
4.) Do you have a backup of all important files/documents on this computer? If no, then I would start by backing up.

To help us get a better look at your computer hardware, please follow the instructions below to "Publish a Snapshot" of your system using Speccy.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792
I realize that this may be difficult for you to accomplish as your computer freezes after a few minutes.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hello,

What this sounds Like to me is a hard drive issue. The freezing is indicative to windows trying to read from the hard drive not being able to and then freezing because it has no idea what to do. What (if you know) is your hard drives manufacturer and model? :) or it could be a corrupt file system both of which I have seems to cause issues similar to what you are seeing in this case.

Edited by computerxpds, 07 March 2012 - 10:09 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Do you have a Windows Recovery Partition, or Windows Recovery Disc?
If so, run the Recovery Manager, select and run Microsoft Startup Repair Tool.
If the repair tool is unable to repair system files, then backup your personal files and save to a set of CDs or flash drive/s. Skip is step if you don't care to save your files.
Perform a System Recovey, return the system to factory state.
There's my two sense worth.

#5 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

I agree with computerxpds, I think you also have a hard drive issue.

Do a recovery after backing up your files and see if the problem persists, then you will know.
If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size

Click Go and post the result.

Hit the start button in lower left hand corner. Then in the run box type msconfig, then hit the services tab then put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?Copy this info with Snipit and save it to desktop name it services.jpeg

Hit the start button in lower left hand corner. Then in the run box type msconfig, then hit the startup tab.Copy this info with Snipit and save to dektop name it startup.jpeg

Use the snipping tool:
WIN-Key | type SNIP | ENTER | drag the cursor over the area to snip | save as a PNG file | attach the png to your next post.
Or Simply upload Services.jpeg and Startup.jpeg to http://uploadmb.com/ and send me the link(s)

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 10 March 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#7 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

To Attach your file Browse then select services.jpeg and startup.jpeg after you find then hit the blue button that reads attach this file.

[attachment=120383:file.jpeg]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users