Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help starting a network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IamHis1

IamHis1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hello, I am new to this forum and I need help. I have a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop pc. The router I have is a Westell 6100 dsl router. My os is Microsoft XP Home edition. The pc is wired (?) and I would like to keep it that way. I would like to be able to use a laptop (Toshiba Satellite with MS vista)in a different room of the house. I have read everything I can and honestly believe I have mind cramps. Can I have one wired pc and one wireless laptop? What equipment would I need and how would I go about doing it? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you and have a blessed day!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

You just need a wireless router. Plug your internet into your Westell, your router into the Westell, and your computer into the router.

#3 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

Hello, I am new to this forum and I need help. I have a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop pc. The router I have is a Westell 6100 dsl router. My os is Microsoft XP Home edition. The pc is wired (?) and I would like to keep it that way. I would like to be able to use a laptop (Toshiba Satellite with MS vista)in a different room of the house. I have read everything I can and honestly believe I have mind cramps. Can I have one wired pc and one wireless laptop? What equipment would I need and how would I go about doing it? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you and have a blessed day!

Right now your PC is probably wired directly into the dsl router. You will need to either go out and purchase one or order it online. I like using http://www.newegg.com as basically a review site to help me decide what i want to get, whether i'm going to order it or just go out to the store and buy it.

Your laptop *should* already have a wireless card built into it.

Once you get your new router it should come with pretty easy instructions on setting it up.

You will need to remove the connection (from the DSL modem to your computer) and plug it into the "internet" port on the wireless router.

There should be instructions on how to connect to the wireless router and what webpage you will need to go to in order to set it up. Sometimes routers will come with settings already on the device, all you will need to do is plug your DSL modem into the wireless router and then connect with your laptop's wireless card to the wireless network (instructions should include any wireless network names and passwords).

Since we have removed the direct connection between your DSL modem and your desktop computer you will now need to connect a new Cat5e cable between your desktop computer and the new wireless router on any of the open ports on the back of the wireless router.

You may want to make sure you have an extra Cat5e cable as well in case the modem does not come with one (they usually do, just check before you buy it).

Let us know if you have any questions!

Cheers!
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

#4 IamHis1

IamHis1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

Thank Yall so very much. I now feel confident that I can do this. I pray yall have a very blessed day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users