Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP and Windows7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Hi all,don't know if this is the right forum but I'm sure you will tell me.I dual boot with xp and 7.I partitionrd the hard drive and installed xp first and then windows7.My question is I would like to merge the partitions and only use one os.I don't need to save anything,have done that on external drive.I want to reformat the whole hard drive and install XP.I have googled this and been watching for tips on the forum but am not comfortable with doing this,not with merging the partitions anyway.Could someone help and guide me in the right direction,Thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

If you reformat you are going to lose all data - you understand that, correct? If that's what you are prepared to do, just boot to the XP cd and the installation routine will begin. Early on you'll see a choice to select Advanced Options. When you do, you'll have the option to delete and recreate partitions. AGAIN - YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE(S). After creating the partition(s), format and install.

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

Thanx Allan for the quick response,and yes I know about all my data.Don't get offended if I ask this but will that allow me to merge both partitions back to only one.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Why would I be offended?

If you follow the instructions I posted, you are not "merging" the partitions, but rather deleting and recreating. So you will delete BOTH partitions and then create only one, which will be the size of your entire drive. If that's not what you want to do (including deleting all data and starting from scratch) please say so. But if indeed you are prepared to start with a blank slate then those instructions are exactly what you want to do.

#5 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Allan,thank-you very much,it worked like a charm and just as you said it would.I am always a little leary when doing something beyond my knowledge.Tkanx again for your help,Tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users