Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Custom Install HP Software for Deskjet F4180?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

Windows XP, Service Pack III. All software up to date.

My HP Deskjet F4180 would not scan images the other day...(it scans, but no image appears)...so after looking around on the HP website for possible solutions/driver reinstalls, I finally decided to uninstall the HP Solutions Center software, reasoning it would be easier just to start over. I used Revo Uninstaller. There were three different icons in Revo for HP, each of which required a separate uninstall. One was named HPSSupply (I think, or something similar). This software apparently contains info on all the different products HP wanted to sell me. Anyway, when uninstalling that, to my horror, Revo found 8,208 registry entries. WTH. It took awhile to get everything check marked properly, to make sure that I didn't remove anything from the registry that wasn't supposed to be removed.

The computer has no traces of HP software on it now. I want to reinstall ONLY the necessary components to get the printer to print, copy and scan. I don't need or want all their product info or ink level readings or anything else. I just want to be able to use the printer to print, scan, and copy.

Does anyone know how to do this? The printer is out of warranty so I do not have access to support without paying a $25 per call fee. When I go to the HP website, the option I see is for a full reinstall of HP Solutions Ctr., which presumably would put back the HPSSupply and the 8K registry entries. Insanity. I am trying to figure out how NOT to do that. Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hi, Typical of HP printers is that once you install everything You can go to add remove programs and uninstall the parts you don't want.

I don't have one here but I seem to recall that there is also a option for custom install where you only install what you want.

Have you downloaded the software and started the install to see if that is so? You can always cancel out of the install.

Also do not forget to unplug the printer before installing the software. It will tell you when to plug it in. If it shows up in the device manager, remove from the device manager and then unplug it.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

Thanks. Good suggestions all. I actually came back here to report on my awesome cluelessness. The HP website does allow one to pick and choose from downloads, and you can in fact install just a basic driver. They have detailed explanations of each option -- the difference between a basic driver and full feature driver, for example. I want the HP Solutions Center back (what I was using before), so I thought 'full featured' right? Of course nothing is simple, because they ALSO HAVE a 'multi-functional basic driver' and (worse) next to that was 'recommended for your computer'. When I read the details on that, it said something about being for IT professionals and the file name said something about 'corporate network' (huh?). I am on a home computer.

So I still haven't resolved this (which one I should download) and am still w/o a printer. I don't use the printer all that much (but had a specific task I wanted to complete that entailed using the printer...therefore this 'project').

I did try downloading the full feature driver but never did get anything working (going to 'start' and 'hp' showed 'empty'..even after I thought I installed it).

So I just removed all the HP stuff (again) and am back to ground zero. At least I know where to go and can explore further as time permits. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users