Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generally Odd Behaviour

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Count

The Count

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:03 PM

Hi all

I'm a newbie to the site and not really sure which forum to post this in, but this seems as good as any.

I have a problem with my PC and I don't even know if its software or hardware related.

The best thing that I can do is list my symptoms and hope that someone can point me in the right direction so here goes:

All of the following symptoms are intermittent. When they happen, several of the symptoms occur at the same time. They always occur when the pc is in standby.

- Desktop icons have been moved
- System clock has lost several hours or clock has got stuck when the pc last went into standby
- mouse and keyboard are unresponsive - usually free up after a few minutes
- sometimes mouse is fine but keyboard completely stops responding

When I check taskmanager there is nothing running that is taking up system resource.

I am running WinXP media centre Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Any guidance gratefully accepted

Thanks in advance,

Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Count

The Count
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:18 PM

PS apologies for the particularly poor title to this topic - I'll think of something more descriptive next time.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:27 PM

Did you do a hard shutoff of the computer or experience a power failure?

Is the mouse/keyboard wireless or connected to the computer and then are they connected to the PS2 ports or by USB?

How much Ram?

Gave you cleaned all the temp files?

#4 The Count

The Count
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:14 PM

Hi Enthusiast - thanks for replying.

I have needed to do hard shutdowns on occasion - sometimes it gets stuck shutting down windows when I try to reboot.

However, the problems usually occur just when the pc has been in standby. There are three ways it will go into standby:
- Pressing the standby button on the mediacentre remote
- Using Start> shutdown
- after 20 minutes of not using the pc (power settings)

They keyboard and mouse are wireless - standard microsoft mediacentre wireless (the mouse is actually a trackball built into the keyboard).

1Gb Ram

I'll check the temp files and get back to you.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

Hard shutdowns are bad, bad, bad!
Just like power outages or pulling the plug.

They can corrupt files - system files, the registry, etc.

You need to fix the system so that hard shutdowns are never necessary.

Standby also. I would set the system never to go to standby or hibernate. Causes all kinds of problems.

Replace the batteries in the keyboard and mouse. See if that helps.

How old is the computer? If more than a couple of years, the CMOS battery may need to be replaced (time loss).

How much RAM does the system have? Do you notice if the system slowness happens when using graphics intensive aps? Or after just booting up? Do you have a seperate graphics card with its own ram or does it share system ram?

Does it happen when your AV program is scanning? (listen for the hard drive ticking)

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 February 2006 - 10:30 PM.

#6 The Count

The Count
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:26 AM

Hard shutdowns are bad, bad, bad!
Just like power outages or pulling the plug.

They can corrupt files - system files, the registry, etc.

You need to fix the system so that hard shutdowns are never necessary.

Standby also. I would set the system never to go to standby or hibernate. Causes all kinds of problems.

Replace the batteries in the keyboard and mouse. See if that helps.

How old is the computer? If more than a couple of years, the CMOS battery may need to be replaced (time loss).

How much RAM does the system have? Do you notice if the system slowness happens when using graphics intensive aps? Or after just booting up? Do you have a seperate graphics card with its own ram or does it share system ram?

Does it happen when your AV program is scanning? (listen for the hard drive ticking)

Hi Enthusiast

I know that hard shut downs are bad, but I don't know what else to do when the computer hangs when it's trying to shut down. What would you recommend?

I let the pc go into standby beacause it is a media centre, so I use it like sky plus to record the TV. It needs to be on so that it can wake up to record, but I don't want it on full power 24 hours a day.

I've tried replacing the batteries and that doesn't help. I'm pretty sure that it's not that because the problem only happens after waking out of standby (although not every time) and usually goes ok after a few minutes.

The computer is only six months old so I don't think it's the CMOS battery - also the problem is intermittent. Today I've woken it up and the clock is fine.

The system has 1Gb RAM. There is no system slowness as such - processing is fine, even with graphic intensive gaming. The problems are just that the clock sometimes stops when in standby, and the keyboard and mouse don't respond properly after boot up / wake up sometimes. I have a dedicated NVidia graphics cad with 128Mb RAM (GEForce 6600)

I use AVG antivirus, and the problems don't seem to be linked to when it is scanning

I'm not sure where to start diagnosing this any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users