Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 will not install to new HDD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrwmnhtr

mrwmnhtr

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:49 AM

Hello Everyone,

I feel it is best to give you complete details so this might be longer than you might think necessary: Friend A had a problem with his PC and purchased a new HDD and a valid copy of W7. He installed both but it did not solve his problem. He removed them from the PC and I acquired them. (HDD and Windows 7 Disk)

Friend B has a PC (Strangely, the exact same model as Friend A.) that has a bad HDD. (Made lots of noise and wouldn't load windows and I couldn't retrieve any files from the disk.)

I took the HDD that I acquired from friend A and connected it to my PC with a USB to SATA adapter. I deleted the FAT32 partition and extended the NTSF partition. I then formatted the drive.

I installed the HDD into friend B's PC and put the Windows 7 disk into the DVD Drive and started the machine. I changed the boot order from the HDD to the DVD Drive and it restarted the machine. I got a black screen with Press any key to boot from CD or DVD. I pressed a key and I got Windows is loading files and the white load bar. Then Windows is Starting... Then BSOD and STOP Error code: 0x0000005c.

I restarted the machine and I got Realtec (The Model Number) Boot agent press F10 to configure. Then I got Press any key to boot from CD or DVD... If I DO NOT press any key I get BOOTMGR IS MISSING Press ctrl + alt + delete to restart. If I DO press any key before the BOOTMGR IS MISSING message it goes to Windows is loading files and the the BSOD and the 5c error code.

I have repeated this a half a dozen times and nothing changes. I added an external DVD drive (in case Friend B's wasn't working properly) and did the same procedure and had the same results.

What can I do now?

HP Pavilion a1320n Desktop PC, Pentium4 524 (P) HT 3.06 GHz, 1Gb DDR2 SDRAM

Thanks in advance,

Randy

A law repugnant to the Constitution is void. ~ Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

Hi mrwmnhtr,

Such a frustrating experience! I assume your friend with exact model PC did not experience your problems with Win 7 installation.

"STOP 0x0000005C errors are likely caused by hardware and device driver issues": http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/stop0x0000005C.htm

At this stage of OS installation, it makes since to go back to basics.
View this link: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/stoperrors.htm.

If you haven't already, try the following steps:
  • 8) Return BIOS settings to their default levels.
  • 9) Make sure all internal cables, cards, and other components are installed and seated properly.
  • 12) Start your PC with essential hardware only.
If no change:
  • 10) Perform diagnostic tests on hard drive and memory.

Others may have additional suggestions.

Edited by Artrooks, 05 March 2012 - 10:43 AM.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

<<Realtec (The Model Number) Boot agent press F10 to configure>>

I suspect that should be "Realtek" and that the system may have a failing CMOS battery. Just a guess.

FWIW: Do not attach any external drives when trying to install Windows, such being attached at that time serves no purpose other than to confuse issues.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users