Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I burn a DVD, the people are tall & skinny

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sidhardtha

sidhardtha

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

One of the software's was Windows Media Player.

I am on windows 7, on a laptop. I used a blank Sony DVD-R.

How can I get it normal?

Edited by Budapest, 06 March 2012 - 04:38 PM.
Moved from Mini-Guides ~Budapest

lenova, I5 PROCESSOR, quad core, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, INTEL HD 530 GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 10 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT, FIREFOX 64 BIT, BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, ZEMANA AND 'EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT' SCANNER.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Sounds like the player is just displaying your video in the wrong aspect ratio -- your video is in a wide-screen format, but Windows Media Player is using the 4:3 aspect ratio that was typical of early TV and very early movies. I don't use WMP myself, but there should be a drop-down menu or some other way to select a different aspect ratio.

#3 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

Sounds like the player is just displaying your video in the wrong aspect ratio -- your video is in a wide-screen format, but Windows Media Player is using the 4:3 aspect ratio that was typical of early TV and very early movies. I don't use WMP myself, but there should be a drop-down menu or some other way to select a different aspect ratio.

it is doing the same in VLC player.

thanks for replying

lenova, I5 PROCESSOR, quad core, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, INTEL HD 530 GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 10 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT, FIREFOX 64 BIT, BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, ZEMANA AND 'EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT' SCANNER.

#4 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

Not enough info.

What was the size & format of the original video?

What is the size of the stretched video?

What aspect ratio was the original video 1:1, 4:3, 16:9?

What aspect ratio is the stretched video?

NTSC or PAL?

If I'm not mistaken;

PAL should be 720 X 538 for 16:9 "1024 / 1.89" or 720 x 406 "768 / 1.89" for 4:3

NTSC should be 720 X 448 for 16:9 "854 /1.89" or 720 x 338 "640 / 1,89" for 4:3

When you authored your DVD in both your softwares, what aspect ratio did you use?

I always use 720 X 480. 4:3. NTSC

Edited by 12x48y, 09 March 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hi, The thing to remember with DVDs is that whether they are 4:3 Aspect Ratio or 16:9 Aspect ratio the video file resolution is the same. It is just a flag on the DVD that tells the player that the video is regular or widescreen and the player does the rest.

Obviously something went wrong in either the encoding process to MPEG2 or the authoring process. I am presuming that the source video looked OK?

What was your process from start to finish?

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Not enough info.

What was the size & format of the original video? >>>>> 720p. avi.<<<<<

What is the size of the stretched video? >>>>>not widescreen. i didn't see any preferences for writing a dvd on windows media player. <<<<<

What aspect ratio was the original video 1:1, 4:3, 16:9? >>>>>probably 4:3<<<<<

What aspect ratio is the stretched video? >>>>>how do you tell?<<<<<

NTSC or PAL? >>>>> I think ntsc <<<<<

If I'm not mistaken;

PAL should be 720 X 538 for 16:9 "1024 / 1.89" or 720 x 406 "768 / 1.89" for 4:3

NTSC should be 720 X 448 for 16:9 "854 /1.89" or 720 x 338 "640 / 1,89" for 4:3

When you authored your DVD in both your softwares, what aspect ratio did you use? >>>>> I don't know. they softwares picked their own settings. probably default settings. thanks for replying <<<<<

I always use 720 X 480. 4:3. NTSC

#7 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

Obviously something went wrong in either the encoding process to MPEG2 or the authoring process. I am presuming that the source video looked OK? >>>>> yes <<<<<

What was your process from start to finish? >>>>> I don't know what that means. Thanks for replying <<<<<

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

I will try to clarify.

1. Did the video look OK originally?

2. What did you do to it to put it on the DVD?
What software did you use to put it another way?
Windows DVD maker?

3. Are you converting it to a standard DVD format or just putting the AVI file on the DVD?

4. A Standard DVD is either 480P, 480i in NTSC land (USA, Canada, Japan for example) or 576P, 576i in england and most if not all of Europe.

You could try this software.

NOTE! This is ADWARE, it includes a browser toolbar(bing or facemoods). It can be disabled when installing.
Freemake Video Converter 3.0.1.21
http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

Freemake Video Converter is a very easy All-In-One converter. Convert video between formats (AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV, SWF, 3GP, MPEG, FLV, M2TS, WebM, OGG), create custom presets, cut, rotate, convert to devices, rip & burn DVD, and upload to YouTube. Embed/burn in subtitles. CUDA support. Requires .NET Framework 4.0. NOTE! This is ADWARE, it includes a browser toolbar(bing or facemoods). It can be disabled when installing.

Click video, add your video, click DVD on the bottom and go.

Very easy to use and provides decent results.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

I will try to clarify.

1. Did the video look OK originally? >>>> yes <<<<<

2. What did you do to it to put it on the DVD? >>>>> I used windows media player to make a dvd. <<<<<
What software did you use to put it another way? >>>>> I used Power2Go.<<<<<
Windows DVD maker? >>>>> no <<<<<

3. Are you converting it to a standard DVD format or just putting the AVI file on the DVD? >>>>> I don't know <<<<<

4. A Standard DVD is either 480P, 480i in NTSC land (USA, Canada, Japan for example) or 576P, 576i in england and most if not all of Europe.

You could try this software.

NOTE! This is ADWARE, it includes a browser toolbar(bing or facemoods). It can be disabled when installing.

Freemake Video Converter is a very easy All-In-One converter. Convert video between formats (AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV, SWF, 3GP, MPEG, FLV, M2TS, WebM, OGG), create custom presets, cut, rotate, convert to devices, rip & burn DVD, and upload to YouTube. Embed/burn in subtitles. CUDA support. Requires .NET Framework 4.0. NOTE! This is ADWARE, it includes a browser toolbar(bing or facemoods). It can be disabled when installing.

Click video, add your video, click DVD on the bottom and go. >>>>> ok. Could I use Windows Movie Maker instead? Thank you for your patience and help. <<<<<

#10 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

What aspect ratio is the stretched video? >>>>>how do you tell?<<<<<

To find out what a audio/video file actually is, use Mediainfo, or Gspot. (I don't think Gspot will work on Win7)

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

With the DVD in the PC. Look inside the DVD's VIDEO_TS folder.

("Start" > "my computer" find your drive, right click on your DVD drive, click "explore" double click the VIDEO_TS folder,

and find a file that has the extension .VOB should be .99 GB. example VTS_01_1.VOB )

Drag that into Mediainfo Or, use Mediainfo to browse for your DVD's VIDEO_TS folder to find the .VOB

Mediainfo will analyze the .VOB and tell you what format, size, DAR, NTSC or PAL etc.

Also use mediainfo to find out what the 720p AVI is. Divx?

You could also try DVDFlick. No adware/spyware.

http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php

http://www.dvdflick.net/guide.php

Start all over again by adding the 720p AVI to dvdflick. and follow the guide.
It should convert the AVI to mpeg 2 and burn to DVD.(If you live in the USA it will be NTSC 720 x 480)
If the results are the same, and your video is still stretched, and you get no answers here, try asking your question over at the Doom9 forum, or Videohelp forum.

http://forum.doom9.org/

http://forum.videohelp.com/

Supply as much info as you can. The steps you took, and exactly what software you used. including the Mediainfo . . . um, er. . . info. :)

#11 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Click video, add your video, click DVD on the bottom and go.

I used this it worked perfectly.

thank you all for responding.
:-)

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Glad to hear it.

It can also be used to download Youtube videos and convert them.

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ (Which you already have)

Convert Online Videos Directly from 50+ Sites

Freemake is the only free video converter that rips online videos through direct URL copypaste from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Dailymotion, LiveLeak, 50 more sites, downloads YouTube to iTunes, and converts them to any format or device available. All supported sites

Cheers
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users