Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder Full Of Files I Didn't Download

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 megan.daniel

megan.daniel

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:56 PM

For days I have been combating a virus/spyware/something that I cannot seem to get rid of.
It started off as this file called freeprod downloading itself onto my computer without my control. I have symantec antivirus installed on my computer and it has been constantly popping up with files it has cleaned, more specifically look2me, zeno, surfsidekick... etc. I have been reading through symantecs instructions on how to rid my computer of specific viruses or adware, but everytime I think I have solved the problem, they come back. I have Adware, Spybot, Spyware Doctor, Stinger, and have ran countless online virus detectors. The most success I have had is with Bitdefender, but something is causing my IE browser to close randomly. I finally removed surfsidekick and <i>thought</i> I removed look2me by following the steps on symantecs website. I think that something is causing these problems to reinstall on my computer. I also found THOUSANDS of files that I didn't download in my computer under c:\documents and settings\megan\complete. I deleted these files. Is this what was causing my problems?

I'm not sure what can solve my problem because I think that I have done almost everything out there, but that is why I am here. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,072 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2006 - 10:00 PM

I suggest you read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have not been replied as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 megan.daniel

megan.daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:40 AM

I suggest you read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have not been replied as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped.

I did read all of that and I followed all the directions. I'm sorry, I didn't know if it was a common problem or something that could be fixed without people having to read over my HJT log and taking up all their time.

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

You don't happen to use Limewire do you?

#5 megan.daniel

megan.daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

You don't happen to use Limewire do you?

Yes, I do. Is this the culprit? Symantec recently found and deleted W32.Spybot.Worm and my computer has been acting normally since. I suppose your advice would be to delete Limewire completely?

#6 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:09 AM

Hmm....this is very strange, can i check a few things out with you. Firstly can you see if this folder is present:

C:\Uploads

..and then see if this folder is there:

C:\Documents and Settings\"Your Name"\Complete

If neither of them are there, please try to show hidden files by reading this. Now go back and tell me if either of them exist.

Please let me know.
David

#7 megan.daniel

megan.daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:32 PM

Hmm....this is very strange, can i check a few things out with you. Firstly can you see if this folder is present:

C:\Uploads

..and then see if this folder is there:

C:\Documents and Settings\"Your Name"\Complete

If neither of them are there, please try to show hidden files by reading this. Now go back and tell me if either of them exist.

Please let me know.
David

Hi,

The complete folder does exist. That is where I found all of those files stored. There were 10,600ish that I deleted immediately upon finding. It's definitely a hidden folder as well, I had to type in the location to get there. Since then I have removed limewire from my computer. The c:\uploads does not exist.

Since my antivirus software has deleted that worm, it has came back again and my software deleted it for a second time. There has been no popups or random installing of software or random restarts by my computer since though. It seems to be operating normally. It's just my antivirus software keeps notifying me that it has located a threat and deleted it. Do you think the virus still present?

#8 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:36 PM

All the files inside were empty cracks for certain software/games etc... have you deleted the actual "complete" folder itself? Which anti-virus are you using?

#9 megan.daniel

megan.daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:44 PM

All the files inside were empty cracks for certain software/games etc... have you deleted the actual "complete" folder itself? Which anti-virus are you using?

I havne't deleted the folder, I am assuming I should?
I'm using Symantec Antivirus.

#10 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:45 PM

Hmmm....yes delete the whole folder.

So when you scan now does it alert you of bad files inside Complete?

David

#11 megan.daniel

megan.daniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:00 PM

Hmmm....yes delete the whole folder.

So when you scan now does it alert you of bad files inside Complete?

David

Deleted.
No, it never did before though. The only scan that alerted me of bad files was Bitdefender, but that was when IE was closing randomly so I could never finish the scan.

But I do have this file C:\Documents and Settings\Megan\mc-110-12-0000137.exe and C:\....megan\a.exe which I know are bad, but everytime I delete them, they come back.

I'm sorry my computer is so messed up.

#12 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:23 PM

No, don't worry at all. Those last few files you quoted are quite bad, and you may have more. I think it would be wise for you to post a HijackThis log for an expert to review.

I recommend you follow the HijackThis preparation guide which can be found here. It is important that you follow the guide closely. A number of scans will be run which may well fix your problem.

As the guide says, after you have completed the scans that are recommended, please post your "HijackThis" log in a new topic in the forum found here. Please add your system infomation and also what problems you are having. Please be patient, and a HJT team member will help you to clean up your system

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users