Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSODs even after reformat + reinstall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 robot85

robot85

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

I'm back once again. Fun times are happening.

So here's the deal. I have been having bluescreens all over the place for the past month. Most of them have been the lovely KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR, along with a few CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION ones here and there. At first I thought it may be hardware issues, but NUUUPE. I've ran Memtest to 10 passes (probably more, but when I went to check it again hours after I saw the 10 passes, the laptop turned off... somehow.) I've ran SeaTools including the self test, the short test twice, and the long test once. HDD passed ALL tests. Because I just couldn't take it anymore, I backed up all my important data and just reinstalled Windows, but the bluescreens are still here. Here are some fun facts:

1) The bluescreens happen almost exclusively while I'm using the laptop. I think I've only had one or two where I wasn't using it. By using it I mean anything from web browsing (doesn't matter which browser, as it happens both on Firefox and Chrome), navigating files w/ Explorer, using Steam (not in game though) or even just sitting at the desktop moving the mouse around.

2) The large majority of the bluescreens are KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR ones. Which from what I've read around, usually means hardware, but... read above.

3) Sometimes Windows minidumps, sometimes it doesn't.

4) Some reinstalling fun:
a) I've tried twice to reinstall using my HP provided reinstall discs. Failed the first time, so I completely wiped my drive and tried again. Failed again.
b] So I installed Linux... I tried twice. First time I tried OpenSUSE, but it failed because it said it couldn't copy files onto the hard drive. So I tried again with Linux Mint 12, and it worked fine. System was lovely and stable. Except I did get kernel panics when I clicked "safely remove drive" to take out my USB hard drive, but that's beside the point.
c) Because I play a lot of games, I couldn't do without Windows for long. Because the HP discs would not work, I... here we go... downloaded Windows 7 64-bit from the place of ARRRR! bay. Had no real choice other than to call HP or reorder discs, which I'm not going to do because my laptop is out of warranty. And before you get on a spiel to me about pirating and etc, I:
aa) Know what I'm doing.
ab) Know that there are no viruses in this copy that are causing this issue. I'm not even using any sort of validation tool thing that could be suspicious.
ac) Don't want to hear it. It is NOT the cause of the bluescreens. My laptop is out of warranty, I'm not reordering HP discs because I know that will do nothing, and I absolutely do NOT have the money to buy another copy of Windows.

5) This hard drive currently installed into the laptop is not the one that came with it. I upgraded it. I bought the new HDD off of Newegg in August of last year. You would think that would be the problem, but again, it passed all of the SeaTools tests! ARRRGH!

6) Now that I think of it, Linux Mint DID have some kernel panics on boot up, but that was probably because I had installed the PAE kernel for the wrong kernel version. Fixed it though, because GRUB let me boot with earlier (working) versions of the kernel.

7) At first I thought malware was the cause of all of this, but that can't be now because I FORMATTED THE ENTIRE DRIVE. Aaaand reinstalled.

8) This new installation of Windows doesn't have any of my documents or program files or etc on it. So it can't be malware hiding in my Documents or programs. The only things installed on this computer are updates, Avast!, a Razer mouse driver, Chrome, Teamspeak 3, and Rift (the MMO). That's it.

You can see my last thread here. It has links to speccy logs and bluescreen logs and lots of other logs... and stuff. If it will help at all, here is my latest BSOD that has happened for the third time since I've reinstalled Windows (but it's the first minidumped one).

==================================================
Dump File : 030412-24616-01.dmp
Crash Time : 3/4/2012 7:42:42 PM
Bug Check String : CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Bug Check Code : 0x000000f4
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000003
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`0495bb30
Parameter 3 : fffffa80`0495be10
Parameter 4 : fffff800`02d8a300
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+705c0
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16841 (win7_gdr.110622-1503)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+705c0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\030412-24616-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 274,536
==================================================

Another fun fact: ntoskrnl.exe has been the highlighted (and top) driver in every single bluescreen log since these things have been happening.

Edited by robot85, 04 March 2012 - 07:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Hello,

Could be a ram issue. Try memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com/. Burn it to a disc and run a long test through the night and if any errors come up then you have a bad ram card. :)

Also could you please post your specs :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 robot85

robot85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

I've ran Memtest to 10 passes (probably more, but when I went to check it again hours after I saw the 10 passes, the laptop turned off... somehow.)

Specs are available in the last thread (if you scroll down some in it you'll see a link to a speccy publish)

Also, here.

Another thing to add: after leaving my laptop on sleep mode for so long it hibernates. (it did this both with Windows and Linux Mint)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

<<here we go... downloaded Windows 7 64-bit from the place of ARRRR! bay. Had no real choice other than to call HP or reorder discs, which I'm not going to do because my laptop is out of warranty. And before you get on a spiel to me about pirating and etc, I:
aa) Know what I'm doing.
ab) Know that there are no viruses in this copy that are causing this issue. I'm not even using any sort of validation tool thing that could be suspicious.
ac) Don't want to hear it. It is NOT the cause of the bluescreens. My laptop is out of warranty, I'm not reordering HP discs because I know that will do nothing, and I absolutely do NOT have the money to buy another copy of Windows.>>

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Based on my understanding of the above quoted rule, this topic is now closed.

If you have any questions about this procedure...feel free to send me a PM and I will attempt to answer any aspect that you have questions about.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users