Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot boot computer windows xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 heather38

heather38

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Windows XP
Installed Kaspersky Internet security 2012. I had some problems installing, but it finally took.
A few days later the computer won't boot I get a flashing cursor with a black screen. Clicking sound coming from tower.
I shut it off because I didn't have time to do anything. A few days later I put the system recovery disk we made when we bought the computer. The computer goes to cannot continue system recovery cannot locate hard drive.

Now what do I do, if there is anything I can do. Is it related to installing the Kaspersky or just coincidence?
I appreciate the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hi heather38,

Clicking sound coming from tower.

All indications point to a bad hard drive. Kaspersky installation would not have caused this. If the recovery disk isn't finding a hard drive, then the drive is not showing up in BIOS. You could attempt to enter BIOS setup. Each computer make is different, but when you first power on, look on the screen for a key to press to enter "Setup"; frequently DEL, F1, or F2. Look for "Boot Devices" or something similar. See if the hard drive is recognized. If it's not, chances are the drive is gone. You could remove the drive and attach it to another computer as a second opinion.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hi Heather

Artrooks is correct. Check to see if your hard drive is being listed in your BIOS Setup. If it is then there is a chance that you can still recover some data from it but it is kind of involved.

If you do see it in BIOS setup and you wish to take a shot at recovering data from it before you replace it you will need the following...

1. A working computer with a CD/DVD writer on it so we can make a special CD to boot the broken computer.

2. A blank CD to burn to.

3. Another hard drive at least as large as the broken hard drive. An external drive is fine if your PC is not too old (more than 6 years old or so).

Even so, a clicking hard drive does not have a great chance for recovery so you have to consider how important the data on it is to you. Is it worth hours of work and scanning with a possibility that it will not work?

If it is, I will be happy to help you. If not, then it is time to replace that drive.

James

#4 heather38

heather38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thank you both!
I have some items I would like to try to salvage.
I have another computer
an external hard drive
An external Cd/Dvd burner

I will check the bios and let you know how I make out. Thanks again.

#5 heather38

heather38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

boot device priority
1st floppy
2nd cdrom

I think we know where this is going.
LOL its toast. Thanks again for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users