Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me enable VT-x??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bomber1712

bomber1712

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

I am trying to set up Win8 on Virtual Box 4.1.8. This is new for me, but it seems that I am having an issue because VT-x is not enabled. I have verified that this chip allows it, but I cannot find any way to enable it. I tried to find it in BIOS, but to no avail. I tried running the ISO in Linux (Ubuntu 11.04) and Windows 7.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

In your bios it may not be labeled VT-x. It may just be something like Hardware VIrtualization or Virtualization.

#3 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

I am just not seeing anything to that effect. Tabs include Main, Advanced, Security, Boot and Exit. Under Main, I can see information about the CPU, but the only editable items are the date and time. Under Security, there are only options to set passwords. Boot is the boot order and exit is just what it seems. Advanced has many editable options, but nothing related to VT, Virtualization or anything.

Is there any way that I can make a screen print of BIOS screens for you to see? Could it be that my BIOS doesn't allow it? I see BIOS version 72.13, and I checked the Gateway site to see if there was an update.

Edited by bomber1712, 04 March 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Yes, its possible the BIOS does not support it, but its also possible the CPU does not either. As for screen shots of the BIOS, you would need to take a picture.

What is your CPU?

#5 Rayj00

Rayj00

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

On my laptop, I have VMware WS 7. I cannot create a 64bit VM because VT is not supported.
I have to stick with 32 bit versions.

#6 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

What is your CPU?

Grinler, the CPU is a Intel T2060. In SIW it shows as a dual core, and on Intel's website they state that VT is supported. Let me know if you have conflicting information.

Also, are you familiar with Bios-Mods.com? They have a BIOS for this machine and have a mod called SLIC 2.1. I am not sure what it will do for me, and I am not sure how to use it....

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Have-A-Gateway-Computer-Want-SLIC-2-1-This-Is-The-Only-Thread-You-Need

On my laptop, I have VMware WS 7. I cannot create a 64bit VM because VT is not supported.
I have to stick with 32 bit versions.

Rayj00 - I am trying to run a 32 bit version in VB on a machine that has Win7 32 bit.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

From the reports I am reading on other sites, it looks like other gateway owners are having this issue as well and that hardware virtualization is disabled and there is no option to enable it in the bios. If that is the case your only option is to see if there is a newer bios for your gateway available and see if that contains the setting.

#8 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

Any chance you know anything about that BIOS Mod? I downloaded a couple of files and flashed the BIOS but didn't notice any changes...

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

Unfortunately, I am not sure what that mod is for.

#10 bomber1712

bomber1712
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

OK, thanks for all of your assistance. I will post back if I have any luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users