Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disaster - System Restore - System Recovery

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

After a similar disaster yesterday I managed to get my system up but kept getting messages about running counterfeit miscrosoft software. I managed to find a good system restore point and all was well.

Now today more or less the same thing. On trying to boot the computer today the system was looking for errors to fix which did not work just as it didn't yesterday. And just like yesterday when it failed it gave a message did I want to restore to an earlier date. Then it had 2 options: to proceed or cancel. Duh? I chose to proceed hopefully to restore to earlier date but all it did was return to looking for an error which continued forever till I finally shut it down. When I try again to start same thing.

My question is how do I choose the return to an earlier date when the cancel only returns me to look for errors and so does the proceed? WTH?:angry:

I wish to avoid the "counterfeit" episode and advance to Go and Collect My $200 ASAP. Any suggestions? :blink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/
Hi kcsummer -
I have no "simple check" for these problems, but if it was mine I would first start with the following 2 tasks -

Use the Elevated Command Prompt, as described above, and run sfc /scannow (no disks required for Win7).
Then try a chkdsk /r command (with the same method) to also look for errors.

Also (I must ask) are you sure that your version of Windows is a "Full legal version", and not one installed by someone else ??

Thank You -

#3 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

How do I get to the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR / launch the command prompt ?.

As to my Windows being legit or not - yes, it is - it came with my computer from a company with too much to lose to engage in that kind of thing. And I never got those messages during the previous 6 months I have owned this laptop. I observed yesterday the first time it was "looking for errors" that a whole bunch of stuff got deleted - it listed the files deleted and I didn't give it a thought at the time until the subsequent problems. It must have deleted something that was missing to "validate" me.

I cannot figure out why it asks if you want to restore - TEMPTING ME - and then gives me no option to do it. Either continue or cancel leads to just more of the same "looking for errors" that it never finds and would probably run 24x7 looking for the rest of its miserable electronic life?
:dance:<_<

Edited by kcsummer, 04 March 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

If it's a laptop...the manufacturer is your fountain of knowledge re restoration/recovery procedures/problems.

I'm not aware of a Windows message of any sort that it "looks for errors", other than when attempting to run the chkdsk /r command.

If I had any indication of system problems during any attempt to run chkdsk /r...I'd run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic to convince myself that it was not at the root of any anomalies I had observed.

Louis

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hi -
Please read the link I left for you - This is from STEP 1-
Method 1: Run As Administrator from shortcut

The first method is to launch the Command Prompt as an Administrator. This can be achieved by clicking on the Start menu, then selecting All Programs, and then Accessories. You will now see a shortcut labeled Command Prompt. Right-click on it and select Run as administrator as shown below...etc..etc..

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 04 March 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#6 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Hi -
Please read the link I left for you - This is from STEP 1-
Method 1: Run As Administrator from shortcut

The first method is to launch the Command Prompt as an Administrator. This can be achieved by clicking on the Start menu, then selecting All Programs, and then Accessories. You will now see a shortcut labeled Command Prompt. Right-click on it and select Run as administrator as shown below...etc..etc..

Thank You -

Maybe I'm just dense today (it happens more than I care to admit) but I wouldn't know how to get to my Start - All Programs etc. when you can't get your computer up.

But anyway, this afternoon my computer seems to have resurrected itself and did boot up successfully - I just left it on the "checking" program and now its on but now I have a new problem that I think I will start another topic on - having to do with visicom-90.nationalnet.com

Thanks for your suggestions to help.

Edited by kcsummer, 04 March 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#7 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

If it's a laptop...the manufacturer is your fountain of knowledge re restoration/recovery procedures/problems.

I'm not aware of a Windows message of any sort that it "looks for errors", other than when attempting to run the chkdsk /r command.

If I had any indication of system problems during any attempt to run chkdsk /r...I'd run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic to convince myself that it was not at the root of any anomalies I had observed.

Louis

Well - that is not a verbatim "looking for errors" I just do not admit exactly what it said - something about having problems starting up and it was going to check for errors if you didn't want it to you could select any key and bypass (which I did once to no avail)

But this afternoon my computer seems to have resurrected itself and did boot up successfully - I just left it on the "checking" program and I in passing noticed that it had successfully booted but now I have a new problem that I think I will start another topic on - having to do with visicom-90.nationalnet.com

Thanks for your help. My computer manufacturer is no help because they say my computer is out of warranty even though I've not had it a year they go by manufacture date not date purchased go figure.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

Generally speaking the manufacturers go by the manufacturing date as a default date for start of warranty. They have to otherwise too many people would be saying I just got it from the store you need to do warranty. Despite having had it for a year.

Unless, big unless you can provide proof of purchase date then it runs from that date.
Hopefully you can provide proof of purchase date. Do not mail originals.

What brand is it?

Also I would want to run a hard drive diagnostic on it.
If it is a Dell press F12 when the Dell logo appears and choose boot diagnostic partition
If it is a HP Then go to the Bios setup program and look for the hard drive diagnostic that is there.

Also if you haven't done so yet I recommend creating the recovery disc set in case of hard drive death or bad virus.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 06 March 2012 - 06:15 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Generally speaking the manufacturers go by the manufacturing date as a default date for start of warranty. They have to otherwise too many people would be saying I just got it from the store you need to do warranty. Despite having had it for a year.

Unless, big unless you can provide proof of purchase date then it runs from that date.
Hopefully you can provide proof of purchase date. Do not mail originals.

What brand is it?

Also I would want to run a hard drive diagnostic on it.
If it is a Dell press F12 when the Dell logo appears and choose boot diagnostic partition
If it is a HP Then go to the Bios setup program and look for the hard drive diagnostic that is there.

Also if you haven't done so yet I recommend creating the recovery disc set in case of hard drive death or bad virus.

Good Luck

Thank you. My computer was manufactured by MSI. A funny thing happened on the way to trying to fix my computer. I usually don't subscribe to service plans however I have had rotten luck before with my laptops so I finally decided to give it a try. What they didn't tell me makes a difference. Several months ago I had a problem, forget what it was but anyway I called the number listed for support under my 2 year service plan. I like that they are open 24/7 - that is a plus because loo much of the time (like with MSI) they have limited hours. MSI wouldn't help me because of the out of warranty thing which I need to correct by mailing them a copy of my purchase receipt and hopefully that will clear that up. But anyway, failing to get help from MSI - I contacted the warranty service and all was going well until they found out that I had only purchase my laptop a week or two before. They told me that they only do support after the one year with MSI is past. That just seems wrong to me. Because that's not the way it was sold to me. The guy said "don't even bother with MSI, use this warranty" plus its called a 2-year warranty so with that philosophy it should be advertised as a post-manufacture warranty add-on warranty.

Anyway I thought this might be relevant sort of since you asked about the manufacturer.

But as to creating the recovery disc set - I always have that WARNING I need to do that but I will tell you that on this laptop and any other laptop I can recall I have tried multiple times to create that recovery disc set but INEVITABLY when I check the progress I get an error message and the system was unable to create the disk so after enough times of that I just said the heck with it. I'm talking 6 or 7 times that I have tried to create the recovery disk and after a while its just like WHY BOTHER?

Anyway my computer is ok now I forget exactly what I did to get it right again so it must be that I just kept tweaking until the problem seemed resolved. Of course on MAJOR issues there is no amount of "tweaking" that will fix things. But I appreciate your help and advice.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

It is strange that you have problems creating the recovery discs. So far I have had good luck creating them.

I have even created them for others just in case they were needed.

Created two sets from two Acers. Created several sets from Toshibas that I have owned.

One difference is I always use the good Verbatim DVD blanks. I say the good ones as the Verbatim media available in the stores (Life series) are junk. So I have had to resort to buying them online. Or Taiyo Yuden from online.

Falling below that a little bit seems to be Sony blanks. It used to be if you could find Made In Japan blanks they were all good. I haven't seen any of those in years in the stores.

What I see in the stores these days are junk like Made in India, Made in China, & Made in Taiwan (Excluding the good Verbatims)

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#11 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

It is strange that you have problems creating the recovery discs. So far I have had good luck creating them.

I have even created them for others just in case they were needed.

Created two sets from two Acers. Created several sets from Toshibas that I have owned.

One difference is I always use the good Verbatim DVD blanks. I say the good ones as the Verbatim media available in the stores (Life series) are junk. So I have had to resort to buying them online. Or Taiyo Yuden from online.

Falling below that a little bit seems to be Sony blanks. It used to be if you could find Made In Japan blanks they were all good. I haven't seen any of those in years in the stores.

What I see in the stores these days are junk like Made in India, Made in China, & Made in Taiwan (Excluding the good Verbatims)

Very probably you are right about the diskettes I'm using and I need to invest in some good ones. I'm not sure which ones I have been using but they were cheap so go figure. So where (Office Supply Store?) other than online can I buy these better quality DVDs??? I'm thinking about buying an external hard drive so maybe I should just do one of those. How many backups is enough? Murphy's law says its not outside the realm of possibility that your backup turns out to be defective/corrupt as well. I guess two should be sufficient. I have lost more pictures than I care to think for several reasons, one of which having both computers stolen. I had viewed having two computers as one of them being the backup of the other but I forgot to take into account the unforeseen that 3 jerks/hoodlums should break into my house and steal both.

It seems like no matter how safe you think you are it isn't safe enough.

As a point of reference, how much do these better quality dvd disks cost you? Thanks for the info.

Edited by kcsummer, 16 March 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

I usually buy the 50 pack or 100 pack. You have to check each of them and compute a per disc cost to see which is a better bargain. Of course if you only need a few than the smaller pack could be better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130961
Verbatim 4.7GB 16X DVD+R 25 Packs Spindle Disc Model 95033
$11.49 + $4.99 shipping as of today.
From the user Feedback

Pros: - decent value for the money

Cons: - Newegg's eco-friendly shipping was very poor in actually insulating my order from shock as all it was was paper and my order went between the paper and the cardboard for minimal shock absorption.

Other Thoughts: Burned my HP Recovery Discs to two DVDs and it read them back, so I believe they work as they should. I've never burned anything else to DVD but these seem like a solid product. I may use these for Xbox later, so I'll keep them around. No coaster/frisbee's yet. :)

I hope I can get future orders sent with the styrofoam peanuts.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-95033-Branded-Recordable-25-Disc/dp/B0003QIXBY

I see that Amazon.com has these for 12.99 with free shipping if you're getting $25 worth of stuff. I order from them frequently and they usually package things very well. I'm happy with their service and feel safer ordering from them as far as them standing behind their shipments. They do ask for feedback about how the items were packaged, i.e. overkill vs. careless.

Thanks for the recommendation of what you've had good luck with.

Edited by kcsummer, 16 March 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

If you are ordering enough stuff then the Amazon will be cheaper due to the shipping.

I buy from Newegg & Amazon and have not had bad packaging from either. I just got in this week from Newegg a Inexpensive server ($299) complete with WHS 2011 O/S,I also ordered a SSD, 2Tb drive, BluRay blanks, & a sound card. They all arrived in Cherry condition. I see it mentioned in the reviews about their packaging, Mine(Knock wood) always arrive looking good.

I'll be curious how they work for you.

One other tip: When the computer is burning it is best to avoid any other activity with it.

Usually making the recovery discs requires the computer to have enough free space on the drive (15+GB) to hold the discs as the software creates them.
Then once it is ready to burn them is when you stop doing anything, just in case. Anything that triggers hard drive activity could cause a disruption of the data flow to the burner.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 March 2012 - 09:21 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#15 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

If you are ordering enough stuff then the Amazon will be cheaper due to the shipping.

I buy from Newegg & Amazon and have not had bad packaging from either. I just got in this week from Newegg a Inexpensive server ($299) complete with WHS 2011 O/S,I also ordered a SSD, 2Tb drive, BluRay blanks, & a sound card. They all arrived in Cherry condition. I see it mentioned in the reviews about their packaging, Mine(Knock wood) always arrive looking good.

I'll be curious how they work for you.

One other tip: When the computer is burning it is best to avoid any other activity with it.

Usually making the recovery discs requires the computer to have enough free space on the drive (15+GB) to hold the discs as the software creates them.
Then once it is ready to burn them is when you stop doing anything, just in case. Anything that triggers hard drive activity could cause a disruption of the data flow to the burner.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by kcsummer, 17 March 2012 - 01:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users