Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor brightness/dimmer control software; Are they safe to use?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

Good afternoon everyone,

The monitor I presently use in an AsusTek, VH198. Although, I have lowered the brightness level to 0, and adjusted the contrast some, the screen still seems to be too bright...especially at night-time.

I've briefly looked at a few of the free monitor brightness/dimming control software applications available, but am unsure if they will actually enable me to lower the screen brightness more than what it presently is.

My questions:

1. Are any of these programs really effective?
2. Is there any risk associated with them?
3. Any recommendations as to a good one to try?

Thank you for your time and any insight!

Edited by spc3rd, 04 March 2012 - 01:39 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

Are you using the video card properties or the on-screen display to control your monitor's brightness.

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Hi cryptodan & thanks for getting back with me,

I'm using the controls on the monitor itself. (I don't see anything in Control Panel > Display that looks like a brightness control).

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

The brightness controls via the Display properties should be under the advanced button.

Edited by cryptodan, 04 March 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

I appreciate the info, cryptodan.

I must be missing something here as I still do not see anything under the Advanced tab that resembles a brightness control. At this point, I think perhaps a better option is to pick up one of those anti-glare screens which may resolve this issue instead of toying around with the settings.
(I have notoriously bad luck when it comes to doing anything other than just turning something on or off)!

Thanks again for the help though!

spc3rd

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

What video card do you have?

#7 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Here is a copy of the info generated by the Speccy program:

Graphics
Monitor
Name ASUS VH198 on Intel 82865G Graphics Controller
Current Resolution 1024x768 pixels
Work Resolution 1024x735 pixels
State enabled, primary, output devices support
Monitor Width 1024
Monitor Height 768
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 60 Hz
Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0
Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller
Memory 96 MB
Memory type 2
Driver version 6.14.10.4396
OpenGL
Version 1.3.0 - Build 4.14.10.4396
Vendor Intel
Renderer Intel 865G
GLU Version 1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation
Values
GL Extensions

spc3rd

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

Have a look here: http://www.thepicky.com/computer-tips/how-to-adjust-computer-laptop-monitor-brightness/

#9 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Greetings again cryptodan,

Checked out the link and went back into the Control Panel > Intel Extreme Graphics, and found a page which displays a brightness & contrast "levers." The brightness was already at 0. I moved the contrast lever all the way down to 0 as well. That dimmed the screen some. Guess this is about the "dimmest" the system will permit the screen to be.

I appreciate the help!

spc3rd

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

You may also want to check the BIOS for brightness levels.

#11 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

I rebooted the computer, and as it was restarting, pressed the F2 (Setup) key. I didn't see anything in there that appeared to be a brightness-level related option. Am I looking in the wrong place?

spc3rd

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

No are not, just that sometimes there are controls within the bios to adjust video settings.

#13 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

Sounds good. Thanks very much again for all your help! (as always).

Best regards,

spc3rd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users